THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    204 ruger blowing huge hole with v-max

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

204 ruger blowing huge hole with v-max
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I have a friend who reloads for his .204 ruger. I am not sure of the powder or the bullet weight, but he has shot a couple coyotes and the enter hole is gi-normous... Just curious if anyone else has had this problem with the v-max bullets.

"It is allways better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are stupid than to open it and prove them right."

Posts: 203 | Location: Hays Kansas | Registered: 05 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What exactly is the problem?

It works.

If he wants the pelts then he has a problem...

http://www.tgsafari.co.za

"What doesn´t kill you makes you stranger!"

Posts: 2213 | Location: Finland | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
yeah he wants the pelts, thats why he shoots the yotes this time of year.

"It is allways better to keep your mouth shut and have people think you are stupid than to open it and prove them right."

One of Us
posted Hide Post
The Vmax, Sierras, Noslers, and the rem accutips are designed more for blowing up smaller varmints such as prairie poodles and crows. They are quite frangible (especially the sierras) and blow apart quite explosively on impact, especially if you hit bone. This is what can create your surface splash. You can call sierra and they will tell you that their bullets were not designed for bigger game such as yotes. The bullet of choice for yotes is the 35 gr bergers. The 40 gr bergers are okay as well but they tend to leave some large exit holes if shot under about 100 yds (not all of the time). The hornady 45 gr soft points are also very accurate and should be good yote medicine as well. (Havn't tried them on yotes yet)

as for the powders, I have used H-322, H4895, and RL10X. The H-322 was only good for the lighter 32 gr. For the 35 39 and 40 gr's I use both RL10X and H-4895. The RL10X has a slight edge for accuracy.

Savage Vaporizer

Posts: 93 | Location: Ft. Saskatchewan, Alberta, Canada | Registered: 19 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
head shoot them...it's what we do in Idaho to save the pelts.

Rich

Posts: 23062 | Location: SW Idaho | Registered: 19 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Gidday Guys,

Anywhere in the eye will do the job and then you only have to wash the blood off the pelt. No stitching up holes.

Happy Hunting

Hamish

Posts: 588 | Location: christchurch NZ | Registered: 11 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Idaho,

What is a coyote pelt worth over there?

Blair.

Posts: 4011 | Location: Sydney Australia | Registered: 19 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not for sure, but i was told $15-25. We still have alotta mange around. Although this morning we did see two coyotes together that had a full winter pelt. (too far to shoot) Our numbers have really been down the last few years.