New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 300 WSM rifles?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Winchesters are Tikka's are good but Sako's and Kimber's are better.
My Finnlite 300 WSM shoot 180 grain failsafes 3 shots into less than an inch at 200. My Kimber 8400's first 3 shot group was about 1" at 200 with 180gr Accubonds. My Winchester shot as well but was a good bit heavier. -
You can't really go wrong with any of the above. The new Savage with an accutrigger is rumored to be very accurate but IMO they are not as refined as the others.........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
I knew I should have been using more deet lately, as I got bit. No, wasn't a skeeter or a no-see-um, it was the dreaded new gun bug

For some reason the idea of a 300 win mag has been rolling around in my head for awhile, as well as the thought of another lightweight rifle. Then I made the mistake of flipping through a gun rag (you'd figure you wouldn't need bug dope before entering the comode) put all the pieces together. I can get 300 win mag performcance, and in a short action package.

I did a quick search, and the Tika T3 caught my eye. Ok, not the best looking rifle, but the price is right and I've heard good things about Tika's.

So, what rifles are you shooting in this chambering, and what would you recomend?

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of HiWall
posted Hide Post
Tikka has a single stack detachable magazine, you can't reload without removing the mag from the gun.

Posts: 323 | Location: Back Home in Aus. | Registered: 24 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I'm no WSM fan, but I looked at a T3 in 300 mag the other day and saw a few things I liked, and some I didn't. The magazine is only long enough for factory ammo, and not a millimeter more, I mean exactly. I've heard from guys who've recently bought T3s that they have long throats, don't know for sure but that's what they say. The gun is light, and feels super, and I bet it would kick like a rabid mule. I loved the older Whitetails, but I don't know about the T3. Just some info for you to chew on.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Mine is the Winchester Stainless Classic in 300WSM. Floated the barrel, fixed the trigger, and feed it 165SST's. It's really a great shooter.

Posts: 398 | Location: Texas | Registered: 27 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post

Opinions are like a.......! Here's mine! If Remington had got off their highhorse long enough to look at the future, they'd have released the SAUM's first(R&D was DONE!!!!) before the behemoth RUM's!!! And thereby beating "The big red W" to the punch! This discussion wouldn't be about WSM's, it would be about SAUM's!!!
AND DJ, Do we buy guns to look at or shoot? As far as the SAVAGES go, they shoot!!! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
well stated, loader

Posts: 12 | Location: cen pa | Registered: 17 June 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
To confuse things even further , you can also get Rugers or the Weatherby Vanguard in the WSM .

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul

I think a tikka in 300 WSM would be a great rifle,they are very well made,generally very accurate & at a great price.

I have an older model with the single stack magazine & dont have any problems with it,it actually works extremely well,i'de be buying a couple of extra's though.

What model tikka are you looking at,i'm looking at the varmint stainless in 270 WSM & will buy it as soon as I have the money.

Have you had a look at this sight www.shortmags.org lots of good information there.

Good luck with your choice

Posts: 318 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Love my M70 Classic Stainless 300WSM.

Don't be fooled, it does kick like a 300 Win, any recoil reduction in the WSM is negated (possible more than negated) by the lighter action.

Out of the box sub MOA every time I do my part with decent reloads. After flOting barrel and bedding the recoil lug and tang area, sub .75MOA every time. YMMV!

Enjoy scratching that itch!

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of CDH
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Winchesters are Tikka's are good but Sako's and Kimber's are better.

Price check, gun isle, Winchester, Tikka, Sako, and Kimber!

Refining costs $$, how smooth do you need to go...

Posts: 1780 | Location: South Texas, U. S. A. | Registered: 22 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Coltchris
posted Hide Post
Been looking for a Tikka T3 stainless lite in 300 WSM, but can't find one! They tell me Tikka is done shipping for this year and don't expect anymore until March-April 2005! Anyone know where I could find one?

Posts: 837 | Location: NW Michigan | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sako
posted Hide Post
I own one Tikka T3 lite in 300 win mag and im wery happy with it! Love the trigger and the bolt on it but the recoil is pretty hard (kicks like a magnum shotgun) but well thats what you get if you buy a light rifle with big boiler room!

Regards

Posts: 290 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 06 January 2004Reply With Quote