New
Find
Notify
Tools

Anschutz?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
That .222 Remington bug has bitten pretty hard, and there don't seem to be a lot of choices out there. I want something with a heavy varmint barrel, and found out Anschutz offers the 1740 in this specification. I have no experience with this manufacturer, and want to know if the accuracy claims live up to the price?
Thanks for your opinions.
Regards, George.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In my experience, "Absolutely"! A lot of bull gets slung on various web sites so I don't want this to sound like the typical internet make believe, but I have 2 Anschutz Hornets. One is the 1730 Meister grade rifle and the other also a model 54 but in the discontinued Exemplar Hornet bolt pistol. Yesterday we had a break in the weather, I went to the range with the Exemplar (30 degrees and about 8 or 9 mph wind), it's a recent aquisition so I'm just finalizing load. To make a long story short 40 grain V-Max bullets fired over 13.3 grain Lil'Gun in once fired WW cases neck sized and primed with Remington 7 1/2 BR primers averaged right at half an inch at 100 yards for 5 shot groups (3X12 Burris Balistic-plex scope). The smallest group of the day was a .347, keep in mind this is a bolt action hand gun with a 10 inch barrel. I believe the small group would be the norm in the hands of a better pistol shooter than I cause that's about the average for my rifle with the same load. These guns are absolutely amazing (at least in the 2 I'm shooting), something to keep in mind is the triple duce has a tremendous reputation for accuracy, the Hornet doesn't, for years the .222 was the benchresters caliber of choice. For a take it out of the box and go shooting firearm they are some of the most accurate I've ever had the pleasure of shooting. That's my take anyway.

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George: Though my Anschutz is a .22 rimfire, it certainly lives up to the accuracy claims. I have a 64 MPR and it will drill one hole groups at 55 yds. with Eley ammo. At 100 yards it has given .5, but I normally don't shoot at 100 with a .22......I am pretty sure you will be happy with the accuracy of the Anschutz.

Posts: 122 | Location: Halstad, MN USA | Registered: 24 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George, the only 22 rimfire in my life that I have sighted in for 100 meters is my Anschutz. That's because it's the only one I've ever owned that would reliably group well at that distance. They really are very accurate rifles. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all very much for your opinions and experiences. I put a deposit down on a 1740D this afternoon.
Regards, George

one of us
posted Hide Post
George, If you don't like it I'll take it! Ha! Keep us posted, thats been a rifle that keeps sneaking in my head (that's a precursor to a new purchase). I've never had a .222 and it's about time to change that. Congrats on a fine new rifle!

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
George: Be aware that the Anschutz action for the .222 is not an especially strong design, at least as compared to a Sako or Remington or Kimber, etc. That said, I do believe that it is plenty strong for the .222 if you keep it within factory load pressure parameters, limited to about 45,000 cup. No question, Anschutz makes a lovely product (excepting their stamped trigger guard).

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote