Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Savage Model 24F-12
 Login/Join

posted
I am thinking about purchasing one of these in the 12Gauge and 30/30 Win. combination and was curious if anyone had any experience with one of these?

Here is a link to the specs page Savage Arms

Posts: 6 | Location: Texas | Registered: 05 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MMYrick,

I don't have any experience with the 12ga./30-30 combo, but I did pick up a 24f/12 a few years ago in 12ga./.223 Rem. My experience with it is limited. It is a synthetic version that had a broken firing pin when I got it, well used. I was intrigued because a friend had told me about his gun in 20ga/.222 Remington. He was high on his, but his was wood stocked and alot lighter than mine. I haven't shot mine enough to give a full critique as to accuracy potential, and I haven't scoped it either. It shoots "OK" with the factory sights, but it is too heavy for me to use it for any kind of serious hunt, and not what I want to carry in bear country.

As for a survival bush gun, I guess it would suffice, but I'd rather carry a guide gun in 45-70, or my .338.

I hope this helps...

zim698

Posts: 53 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 30 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
MMyrick,

I have a 24 DL in .22 WMR over 20 ga. that I bought off a friend just before he was shipped off to Viet Nam in 1967. Wood stocked with a side selector switch(not on the hammer). Scoped with a Weaver K4, dot, it sits next to the back door ready for any pests that comes along. I have taken number of turkeys with this not to mention all sorts of other small game and pests. Well worth the money in my opinion. Lawdog

Posts: 1254 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hello Myrick

I have three of these guns, a 24C ( 22RF/20 ), 24F ( 22 mag/20 ), and 24V ( was 223/20, now 6X45mm/20 ). They have one common bad habit, and that is that after two or three shots from the rifle barrel they begin shooting low. I believe that this is due to the rifle barrel heating up and expanding, which makes it longer than the shotgun barrel and bends it into a shallow arc. As long as you are only shooting one or two shots at a time, this isn't much of an inconvenience. I think any of the assorted drillings will act in similar ways. It is a positive nuisance when adjusting sights, as the job has to be strung out over several sessions ( but gets me out of the house, after all ).

Posts: 14624 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote