Find
Notify
Tools

17 Hornet
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted
I'm going to try the 17 Hornet. Ordered a Contender Carbine barrel from MGM today at the Tulsa Gun Show.
Any current shooters out there with ideas and recommendations?

Posts: 2155 | Location: Oklahoma | Registered: 03 October 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
PM "butchloc", I just put one together for him only his was the Ackley Hornet. Don't believe him if he tells you it all went smooth.

Jim

Jim Kobe
10841 Oxborough Ave So
Bloomington MN 55437
Professional member American Custom Gunmakers Guild

Posts: 5523 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 10 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Thanks Jim. Will do.

One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
I think you'll enjoy this round!! I've shot it quite a few times out of a buddies Savage model 25 and can say that it's a tack driver. I've only shot factory ammo, but I'd imagine a good load wouldn't be too difficult to find with a bit of work!

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
17s are fine if their is no wind. I know my buddy is always cleaning his 17 HMR due to fouling, something my 22 Hornet does not do. It also kills Yotes a lot better, although I prefer my 223 ARs.

One of Us
Picture of f224
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by bumfarto:
17s are fine if their is no wind. I know my buddy is always cleaning his 17 HMR due to fouling, something my 22 Hornet does not do. It also kills Yotes a lot better, although I prefer my 223 ARs.

When out shooting prairie dogs I shoot upwards of 350 rounds every day through my 17HMR R93 and only clean at the end of the day. When I do clean, it's with Wipe Out and it only takes two 20-30 minute treatments to get her completely clean.

I have other friends and fellow shooters with the same experience with their 17HMR's. I think barrel quality has more to do with fouling problems than the .177 bore size.

Regarding wind, Cliff has seen me shoot well past 200 yards on prairie dogs in 15mph crosswinds with that same rifle. It's a math problem, not a cartridge problem. Harder, yes, impossible, no.

Captain Dave Funk
Operator
www.BlaserPro.com

Posts: 841 | Location: Dallas, Iowa, USA | Registered: 05 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a K-Hornet in the "regular configuration", and it is the neatest round in the world, for a small, quiet caliber. The darned thing is an NEF, and I had a screaming $239 in it prior to buying the K reamer. With the 1 in 12 twist, it shoots 55-grainers into one hole at 100 with 10 grains of AA 2200 and a small pistol primer.

I see no reason to fix what isn't broken; to me there is no reason on this earth to go down to .17 in the Hornet. You don't gain much over the 17 HMR other than increased fouling issues, and the 22K is much easier to load for.

Just my $.02...

Posts: 4748 | Location: TX | Registered: 01 April 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
to those with no respect for the ability of the .17 hornet to kill, may I offer this experience. I shot a "mangy" coyote with my 17 @ (rangefinder) 300 yds., stayed in the scope, seen his chest turn instantaniously red, and he went 10 yds, DOA. That was the 2nd. dog of the day, but the other one was only 45 yds, so he went nowhere. 300 yd p.d.s are a hoot for the same reason, you can stay in the scope and see em take the cure, and hear the same wamp sound ya get from the 17hmr. we shoot several thousand p.d.s a year with the .17s' and it is a ball. As for the wind on the 17s, may I say the wind is no big deal, I watched my grdson, pop 2 prairie dogs sunday, wind @ 30 (thistles rollin sideways to us) and he hit em @100 yds, holdin 1/2 p.d. to the upwind. Usin your judgment is 1/2 the fun of huntin anyway. When the wind is blowin, it reduces the shot sound to the dogs, they don't go down nearly as quick. This is just one ole fat-mans opinion, course. Happy shootin! jc

Posts: 1 | Location: n.e. plains of co. | Registered: 08 February 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Cliff Lyle
posted Hide Post
Thanks Gerald and welcome to AR. Experience with a caliber is always valued and i appreciate yours.