New
Find
Notify
Tools

.257 Sierra BTHP?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
It might seem like dumb post, but I wonder why Sierra doesn't make this in a 100 gr. bullet. The 90 is super in my rifle. The 120 is not. Since the 100 grain pill seems to be the standard for most other bullet pushers in .257, why not a 100 gr BTHP Sierra? I shoot a Rem 700 classic in .250 savage with 1-10 twist in a 24" barrel, but all the modern rifles I would think could benifit from the 100 gr. slug. I hear great reports on the 90 for deer so why wouldn't the 100 be even better?

"La vida no vale nada sin El Honor"
Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

Posts: 214 | Location: Pickens, SC GOD's UpCountry | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
That's the logical move up from the 85 gr HPBT in the .243. I would shoot it.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would like to see a 105 or 110. And i might recomend the nosler 110gr accubond. It was long overdue for somebody to come up with somthing to split the difference beetwen 100 and 115.
thats about a 15% jump in bullet weight.
I bet the 250 savage would like the acubond though. My Roberts sure does...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Thomas Jones:
I would like to see a 105 or 110. And i might recomend the nosler 110gr accubond. It was long overdue for somebody to come up with somthing to split the difference beetwen 100 and 115.
thats about a 15% jump in bullet weight.
I bet the 250 savage would like the acubond though. My Roberts sure does...tj3006

Tom,
My .250 gave very good results with the old flat based Nosler and It was a good killer. They discontinued them a while back but I note that they are making them again due to popular demand.

Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

Posts: 214 | Location: Pickens, SC GOD's UpCountry | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
If you want to go a little heavier but the groups open up, try flat base bullets, or even flat base round nose bullets.

I don't have a .250 Sav but I have a pencil barreled Roberts that seems partial to flat base bullets. Nate

P.S. after-thought Have you tried the Hornady 100gr SP? It's a flat base, and will hold up to deer out of the Savage with no fuss.

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigNate:
If you want to go a little heavier but the groups open up, try flat base bullets, or even flat base round nose bullets.

I don't have a .250 Sav but I have a pencil barreled Roberts that seems partial to flat base bullets. Nate

P.S. after-thought Have you tried the Hornady 100gr SP? It's a flat base, and will hold up to deer out of the Savage with no fuss.

Nate,
I have tried most of them and the .250 prefers Flat based bullets WITH THE EXCEPT of the Nosler Solid and Like I dumbie I sold my stock and now they are not made in .25 anymore
The best luck I have had with 100 gr has been Speer flat base spitzer. They are very accurate out of my rifle
Thanks,
Jack

Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Same experience with the Speer 100 gr. Great accuracy pushing them at 3300 mv from my Bob. It's my varmint load, but used it last year to put down a big bodied Mulie 3 point.

Posts: 108 | Location: Wet Side, WA | Registered: 09 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Puddle,

Have you chronied your "3300fps" load or is that just an estimate based on reloading manuals?

Perry

Posts: 2249 | Location: South Texas | Registered: 01 November 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I just got a tika 25/06 and that is the bullet I have been working on loads for it is 100 gr sierra HPBT.it is a match bullet.Tried some of the 110 accubonds and they work very good in the 25/06 also.For a hunting bullet will probably go with the partion 100 gr or the 110 gr accrubond.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote