THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    I'm looking at a 243 semi auto

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

I'm looking at a 243 semi auto
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
So I've decided I need a caliber in this window of performance. I have a 30-30 lever and a 30-06 bolt, so I want an autoloader. I want something that I would reasonably expect to find a good selection of on the shelf, and I want it to be somewhat versatile, because i just might be tempted to do something other than hunt cardboard zombies. So 243 it is.

So I've narrowed it down to three and one is already on the short list to be dropped:

Rem 750 or similar: staying away from this hot topic, I've read and heard enough that I am turned off. That may be unfounded but it is what it is.

AR10 or the very similar Rem R25: I really don't want that kind of rifle, i like a "traditional" look and feel of a "traditional" style. I could be swayed still as these are like the legos of guns, but probably not. CDNN has them for $1k (just for example).

Browning BAR: I really think this is what I want. CDNN and gander both show models in 243 for $1k (for example). I would however prefer this with the BOSS brake/tuner combo, and they don't make stainless i don't think.

So with that in mind, knowing the primary use will likely be culling dangerous paper targets out to 200 yards max, with the remote possibility that i might actually do something in the field with it, I'm interested in what y'all have to say.

I have specific questions about the 243 Win but I doubt I will change my mind on that part so I'll let the discussion steer into that if it happens.

Thanks!

Posts: 1646 | Location: Euless, TX | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
Browning BAR Grade II Belgium / Belgian .243 Rifle
This would be my first choice

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Not a .243 and you already have a .30-06, but here is something out of left field: A H&K Slb 2000. It is a semi-auto .30-06 hunting rifle with a wooden stock. H&K only imported them into the US for a short period. (Still sold in Europe by Merkel and Haenel.) They have 2, 5, and 10 round magazines. Somewhat rare, but they can be found on Gunbroker. The magazines are the tough part, they are hard to get and expensive. I got a BNIB unfired safe-queen for around $1,000.00, and was able to snatch 2 10 round magazines off of e-bay, of all places. The rifle is a real tack driver.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Browning Short-trac in 7mm WSM with which I'm very pleased. I haven't owned a semi-auto hunting rifle in twenty something odd years (ever since I had a series of "interesting" experiences with two Remington 742s), but I handled one at a Gander Mountain three or four years ago, and, much to my surprise, greatly liked the feel of the rifle.

I would handle both the traditional BAR and the new Short-trac to see which fits you best.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you are looking for more traditional style rifle than the AR platform, the old Winchester Model 100's are nice. A bit more obscure than the Remington but extra mags are available. The BAR is a nice rifle too.

Posts: 714 | Location: Milwaukee, Wisconsin | Registered: 09 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Better hurry,Browning informed me yesterday they have obsoleted all short chamberings except .243 Win. New orders have a projected late spring 2015 delivery. It may be next!

Posts: 3786 | Location: SC,USA | Registered: 07 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would steer clear of the Remington 750. The BAR would probably be the best choice if you want something that has traditional styling. Having said that, I'd probably go for one of the AR-10 type rifles if I wanted a semi-auto for hunting. They're not pretty, but they are functional, reliable, and accurate.

Posts: 641 | Location: SW Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: 10 October 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Don't know much about them but I believe the Winchester 100 came in .243. Always thought I'd like to own one but never have. --- John

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have a Winchester 100 in .308 and a BAR shrort track in 300 WSM. The Winchester is heavier.

Quick, Cheap, or Good: Pick Two

Posts: 2173 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 18 February 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Of your choices I would go with the bar, but without the BOSS. I think they are ugly and unnecessary.

If you don't handload then I understand thr BOSS.

Posts: 352 | Location: Washington State, USA | Registered: 29 July 2012Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Big Wonderful Wyoming
posted Hide Post
I like the short trac as well. Think of it as a BAR with modern styling.

Posts: 7782 | Location: Das heimat! | Registered: 10 October 2012Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The BAR are threaded barrel in action, the remington semi are not.
I have 4 bars, 243, 30-06, 300wm and 338 of the original steel BARs all are tremendous shooters
I had a browning A bolt in 375 with the boss and really did not care for it ended selling it and getting one with the standard barrel

NRA Life Member, ILL Rifle Assoc Life Member, Navy

Posts: 2300 | Location: Monee, Ill. USA | Registered: 11 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Have owned 3 or 4 100 winchesters in 243 and they all shot very well.lighter than the brownings or remingtons.Very nice rifles.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for all the replies, it kind of mirrors what I have picked up elsewhere.

Regarding the BOSS on a belgian BAR, it looks like that is almost impossible to find. I'm sure I could order one. Maybe I wouldn't even notice the difference. I will likely load for it but I would like it to shoot a few boxed offerings well enough to be passable.

I was also a little concerned with some of the close-out pricing on the 243 win models. It might be on the block next. That would be a shame. But that isn't enough on its own to have me running out and custom ordering something I don't really need, I just would like to have in my collection.

Is the 1:10 on the BAR a limitation on the bullet? I note that even 85 and 95 grain ballistic tip style bullets are longer than the 100gr spitzer, will that twist serve for most weights up to that 100gr shorty? his again is likely something I might not notice since my scale is minutes of hubcap, but I'd like to be sure I have something that will never be a limitation if I just magically improve somehow.

Posts: 1646 | Location: Euless, TX | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ScottB:
Thanks for all the replies, it kind of mirrors what I have picked up elsewhere.

Regarding the BOSS on a belgian BAR, it looks like that is almost impossible to find. I'm sure I could order one. Maybe I wouldn't even notice the difference. I will likely load for it but I would like it to shoot a few boxed offerings well enough to be passable.

I was also a little concerned with some of the close-out pricing on the 243 win models. It might be on the block next. That would be a shame. But that isn't enough on its own to have me running out and custom ordering something I don't really need, I just would like to have in my collection.

If it were me l would go with a Browning Bar.
No goody's hanging off the end of the bbl...lol.

"Is the 1:10 on the BAR a limitation on the bullet? I note that even 85 and 95 grain ballistic tip style bullets are longer than the 100gr spitzer, will that twist serve for most weights up to that 100gr shorty? his again is likely something I might not notice since my scale is minutes of hubcap, but I'd like to be sure I have something that will never be a limitation if I just magically improve somehow."

**I don't think so.
Heavy 6.5's are really long bullets and they usually run 1 in 9" twist.
1 in 10' should work fine unless u chance to get a picky bbl.

Posts: 434 | Location: Wetcoast | Registered: 31 October 2004Reply With Quote