New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet Drop
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I need information on how much a bullet drops at a given distance. I was at the local gunshop and listened to this loudmouth brag about killing a deer with a 25-06 at a laser ranged 789 yards. He was shooting a 100 gr. bullet sighted dead on at 200 yds. He claims he aimed about a foot over the deer and spine shot it. The only chart I have gives 32 inches of drop at 500 yds so I know it will be much greater at almost 800. Can anyone tell me roughly what the drop would be at 789 yds.
I'm assuming the velocity was max. Any comments would be appreciated because I want to copy them off ond put them on the bulletin board.

one of us
posted Hide Post
According to my Ballistic Explorer software:
100gr Sierra Game King BC= .388
MV = 3300 fps
sighted in at 200 yds
at 750 yds: minus 114.82" (9.5 feet)
energy= 729 ft lbs

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hawkeye,

The rifle and the cartridge has the "ability" to do that.

However very few shooters have the ability to do so.

And the ones who do, and do it, usually have the good humble graces not to feel they have to "brag" to the world about it.

When someone is bragging about it, usually that is where the Bullshit begins. [Roll Eyes] [Razz]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire,

This guy is a loudmouth and a liar!!! There is a lot of diffrence in a 12-14inch holdover and 9-10 feet. My deceased brother was one of the best rifle shots on game I have ever hunted with and he used a 25-06 very successfully out to 500 yds, so I'm somewhat familiar with the round.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Hawkeye: I got to thinking that the 100 gr Sierra BT has one of the better BCs amoung 100gr 257 bullets and 3300 fps might be a little on the optimistic side. So, just for fun, I plugged in factory load specs:

100 gr Rem CL (BC=.292)
3230 fps (Remington velocity)
drop at 750 yds from 200 yd zero -156" (13 feet!)
energy = 347 ft lbs

Good luck with your "friend"

[ 06-09-2003, 23:12: Message edited by: olarmy ]

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
That's the latest "buzz" word that is 'posed to refute any argument. It was a "LASERED" distance of.......
I think the guy is so full of shit his eyes are probably brown.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Even my leica 1200 will not range deer to 789 yards.He probably missed the deer with the laser and accidentally lasered a highly reflective object far beyond the deer.Either that or he is simply a liar.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Go to this website and download the pointblank ballistics program:

http://www.huntingnut.com/pointblank.html

It's free, and once you type in the data it'll show you a trajectory graph that you can print off and post for all to see. Plus, the program's a real handy tool to have around.

one of us
posted Hide Post
PointBlank is a very good tool. I have used it for about six months.
It will load on a floppy, and that makes it easy to take somewhere else if you have access to a computer, or to load on someone else's computer.

Jerry

Posts: 391 | Location: NM | Registered: 07 January 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Just like someone else posted earlier, the guys rangefinder misread the distance to the intended target. This guy definitely hasn't shot much farther than 300-500 yds. very often in his life, if ever. If he had done it, even once, he would have learned 2 things real quick-- 1) 2 ft. holdover isn't going to work too well, unless he's trying to skip it across a pond, and 2) Guessing holdover is almost impossible at those ranges, even using the chest size of the deer as a reference in a semi-tactical manner.

[ 06-12-2003, 14:12: Message edited by: sscoyote ]

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
coyote, I think it's more likely his mouth misread his brain than that his laser rangefinder misread the target. JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah.

Some guy told me he shot a deer at 600 yards with a 45-70 by aiming at the top of the back. I think it was at 60 yards, and he probably missed.

Posts: 18352 | Location: Salt Lake City, Utah USA | Registered: 20 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Let's do some more math. I'm going to use a 75 grain .224" match bullet with a MV of 2750 fps, since that's what I'm most used to shooting at medium range.

With a 100 yard zero, I have to come up 75 clicks on the rear sight to get a 600 yard zero. At 1/4 MOA per click, that's 18.75 MOA. 18.75 MOA at 600 yards is 112.5 inches, or 9 feet 4.5 inches.

Assuming there's 14" from the center of a deer's vitals to its back, the hold over the back would be 8 feet 2 inches.

Sounds like Mr. Long Range Hunter is full of shit.

Posts: 2206 | Location: USA | Registered: 31 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I hunt with a 25-06 and 117gr Sierra gamekings at 3200 fps.
I zero at 300 yards, that puts me 7 to 9 inches low at 400 and 20 to 24 inches low at 500 yards.
Real world measurements measured on targets at those distances.

Posts: 162 | Location: Boise | Registered: 07 May 2003Reply With Quote
<eldeguello>
posted
If he killed it with a holdover of a foot or so, it is likely that the critter wasn't over 400 yards away - a goodly distance at that!!

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hawk - you don't need a ballistics print out. You need a pair of rubber hip boots to wade thru the bullshit. This clown would have had to hold over the deer an extra BODY WIDTH to hit him. Or maybe he is an honest fellow who just needs a better range finder. [Confused]

Posts: 19677 | Location: New Mexico | Registered: 23 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since this was put up on top of the list again, and Pecos made me think of this;

I think we are being unfair to the guy who claims to have shot this deer.

What the author is failing to leave out, is that this deer also had 30 points on each side, was 16 feet tall, weighted 6,000 lbs and was last seen on the back of a flatbed semi on I 40 bound for an amusement park entrance somewhere in Kansas.

The shot actually hit the rear tire of the flat bed ( 9 foot drop, and 47 feet windage) and caused the rig to crash since the driver was doing 80mph at the time. So it is fact that the deer dropped at the shot. And it is also fact that the guy was shooting at 900 yds.

The laser range finder did not bounce off the deer and give a reading, it bounced off the semi truck and flatbed, with a deflection off the overpass ( Exit 232).

This is a true story, and as Paul Harvey says,
"NOW you know the rest of the story!"
:rolleye: [Eek!] [Razz] [Cool]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It was just a slip of the tongue.He meant to say 789 feet.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
If everything he said was true (& I doubt it), then it was a complete fluke! Even if he managed to laser the range correctly, the wind drift @ 800yds could be measured in feet! I would believe it if I saw it. [Eek!]
He was probably using a Match KIng, that would explain the extreme accuracy & flat trajectory. [Big Grin]

[ 07-11-2003, 23:34: Message edited by: fredj338 ]

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
He probably did it , it happens all the time and folks get the idea they can shoot because of a flinch or jerk or wind whatever...I know a guy that killed a deer at nearly a mile and he said he held smak dab on him, go figgure...

The best one I ever heard was the day I shot a running mule deer at about 500 yards with a Win. M-94 30-30 off hand, hit it in the brain, instant kill...I was 13 years old...My dad said it was a classic example of a deer zigging when it should have zagged!!! I knew it was pure skill!! because I didn't even use the sights [Wink]

Posts: 41889 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote