New
Find
Notify
Tools

17 HMR vs squirrel
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Now, if any of you are wondering what a 17 HMR does to a squirrel, check out this photo - but I warn you, its not for the faint of heart! My wife recently got herself a custom TC Contender in 17 HMR from Bullberry - we topped it with a 3.8-12x44 Simmons Aetec and went squirrel hunting. I shoot FMJ bullets out of my 22 WMR because it is less destructive to meat, but that choice isn't currently available with the 17 HMR. I've still had a few cases of "explosive head" with my 22 WMR and FMJ bullets, but nothing quite like the results of the 17 gr V-Max out of the 17 HMR:

-

The two on the right are 22 WMR kills, the 4 on the left are 17 HMR kills.

Troy

Posts: 285 | Location: arlington, tx | Registered: 18 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The 4th one from the left will be easier to skin! Won't get hung up on the head!! GHD

Posts: 2495 | Location: SW. VA | Registered: 29 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of redial
posted Hide Post
I once shot a ground squirrel staring at me with a 17HMR. Aimed right under his chin. Through the scope I noticed something shoot straight up, out of my field of view. When I walked over I was rewarded with a nearly-perfect, intact skull. Skinned. Weirdest thing I've seen in years.

I got to shoot about a jillion gophers this year with the 17 and I'm mightily impressed with it!

Cheers!

Redial

Posts: 1121 | Location: Florence, MT USA | Registered: 30 April 2002Reply With Quote
<Hunter333>
posted
redial, thats insane!! I have been wanting to get a 17 and now can see what can be done with it!! [Smile]

one of us
Picture of DMCI*
posted Hide Post
I almost hesitate to bring it up, but the Cooper Arms of Montana builds a remarkably accurate .17HMR Deluxe Rifle. I already have mine on order from our local Gun Shop.

-

http://www.cooperfirearms.com

Posts: 2821 | Location: Left Coast | Registered: 23 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Don't shoot near any part you want to eat with a 17 HMR. Kill, yes, definitely. But; it is not a table fare rifle; at this time anyway. Almost all squirrels / other small vermin I have shot with a 17 HMR look alot like that fourth one from the left. I am known to shoot an old 222 Remington hunter benchrest rifle at squirrels with hard cast lead bullets in reduced loads when what's behind them isn't an issue. I haven't seen a deadlier squirrel rifle.

Posts: 230 | Location: Alabama; USA | Registered: 18 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I harvested a nice Eastern Gobbler this first day of the PA fall turkey season with a .17 caliber Marlin rifle. The shot was around 55 yards on a slight downward angle. The CCI hollow point hit him as he walked briskly away broadside... center mass just behind the wing joint. ZAP! Flop flop flop. I was surprised that the little warhead didn't hurt too much meat, except for fragmenting low into the opposing thigh. The breast and both drumsticks were still A-OK. The .17 has proven to be a nice little package for those "just out of shotgun range" birds. Fire up the grill.

[Big Grin] [Razz]

Posts: 42 | Location: PA | Registered: 12 October 2003Reply With Quote