THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Colorado gunsmith to put it together?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Colorado gunsmith to put it together?
 Login/Join

posted
I�m thinking of ordering a Ghost Rifle Kit from AcraBond. This is a MRC 1999 action, barrel blank and unfinished drop-in stock. If I do it, I�ll need to find someone in the Colorado Springs area who can chamber and thread the barrel, do any other metal work , and finish the metal parts in flat black Teflon.

I can sand the stock and apply the finish, but will also need someone to do the checkering. Do you guys know of someone in the area who can do this stuff?

Anyone have experience with Acrabond? I see most folks seem to think highly of the MRC actions, but they�re too new to have really developed a reputation yet. I think they�ll be good, though.

If I do order this thing, the rifle will be a .257 Roberts if I have the patience to wait around for a short action, or a .25-06 if I don�t.

I've emailed Earl Hickman of Hickman Rifles in Colo Spgs, but I haven't seen any of his work.

Thoughts on this project? I don�t need caliber advice, or factory rifle suggestions, thanks.

I tried to post this in Gunsmithing and it wouldn't work...

[ 10-03-2003, 01:11: Message edited by: CO Roadkill ]

Posts: 18 | Location: Colorado | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by CO Roadkill:
I�m thinking of ordering a Ghost Rifle Kit from AcraBond. This is a MRC 1999 action, barrel blank and unfinished drop-in stock. If I do it, I�ll need to find someone in the Colorado Springs area who can chamber and thread the barrel, do any other metal work , and finish the metal parts in flat black Teflon.

I can sand the stock and apply the finish, but will also need someone to do the checkering. Do you guys know of someone in the area who can do this stuff?

Anyone have experience with Acrabond? I see most folks seem to think highly of the MRC actions, but they�re too new to have really developed a reputation yet. I think they�ll be good, though.

If I do order this thing, the rifle will be a .257 Roberts if I have the patience to wait around for a short action, or a .25-06 if I don�t.

I've emailed Earl Hickman of Hickman Rifles in Colo Spgs, but I haven't seen any of his work.

Thoughts on this project? I don�t need caliber advice, or factory rifle suggestions, thanks.

I tried to post this in Gunsmithing and it wouldn't work...

You might want to give Norm Thompson a call at 481-9757. He is a full time gunsmith and has a pretty nice shop. Norm has done over 10 rifles for me and is doing a 22-250AI and 6/22-250 as soon as the reamer gets here. He rebarrel a #1 for me in a tight neck 6ppc. Did acouple 221 ,6mmRem,6mmRemAI,243,30x44,223AI,30-338,30x47,30IMHSA,308 plus 7.62x39 in a bolt action plus acouple others. I don't know much about the outfit you are talking about but have seen some post and most seemed happy. Well good luck! Tom

Posts: 1098 | Location: usa | Registered: 16 March 2001Reply With Quote
<Ben H>
posted
I would check with Greg Tannel of Grey-Tan Rifles near Kersey. Greg is a tool & die maker turned rifle builder. One helluva nice guy with a fantastic track record for his rifles. He doesn't do wood work, though. You can check out his web-site at www.gtrtooling.com

Good Shooting,
Ben H

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gre-Tan's tolerances are nothing short of amazing. I mean FIVE DIGITS AFTER THE DECIMAL PLACE. that's fifty-millionths or one-half of one ten thousandth inch. His reamers are legendary around here. Word of mouth is his rifles are extremely good.

Posts: 257 | Location: Radio Free Texas | Registered: 20 September 2001Reply With Quote
<Jordan>
posted
I too have a high regard for Greg Tannel's work and recommend him without qualification. He's built over a dozen rifles for me. I could not be happier with his work. He uses heavy, industrial quality tool-room lathes and is a trained machinist as well as competitive shooter and hunter. He sweats the details to an unbelievable degree and is as nice a fellow as you could ever hope to meet. He is in Kersey, Colorado. You can reach him at [970] 353-6176. He is pretty busy.

Jordan

one of us
posted Hide Post
Yeah Greg is IT when it comes to gun building-- Dave Kiff @ Pacific Precision says if a gunsmith is not using his benchrest chambering tools he's not state-of-the-art.

Bob Waltzer of Colo. Spgs. is using his stuff, and he's uncompromising when it comes to building accurate guns as well. I think he's in the book.

[ 10-14-2003, 09:44: Message edited by: sscoyote ]

Posts: 926 | Location: pueblo.co | Registered: 03 December 2002Reply With Quote