THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    oredered new custom varmint rifle today

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

oredered new custom varmint rifle today
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of TheSilverFox
posted
I finally decided to go custom and order myself a rifle from Clay Spencer of spencer rifle barrels.
So i can bag myself some goofers and cayotes at 500 + yards

it will be ready in 8 months to a year.

Remington receiver blueprinted
Spencer stainless barrel with custom index fluting
Indicated crown
Jewell trigger with bolt release and safety, adjustable from 1½ oz. to 4lbs.
McMillen Field Marksman stock (molded-in desert camo)
Decelerator pad Studs
Kelbly bases and rings
chambering 6mm BR
Muzzle break

Rifled guaranteed to shoot 1/4"

It also comes with load data that the gunsmith has developped for that rifle.

Heres some picks of what it should look like, minus the nesika action.

http://spencerriflebarrels.com/images/DSCF0085.JPG

http://spencerriflebarrels.com/images/DSCF0087.JPG

http://spencerriflebarrels.com/images/DSCF0560.JPG

Posts: 60 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 23 June 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would say you are putting together a fine rig. Post some photos when it is done. July is a hot month for goghers, let us know how it performs

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Beautiful!!

If it is not too personal, could you give a ballpark number for what that rig would cost ??

one of us
posted Hide Post
Is Spencer a Canadian smith/manufacturer??

What is the purpose of the brake?? To be able to see hits at long range?? What is the opinion of other varmint shooters on this feature??

1/4" is mighty good.

- mike

The rifle is a noble weapon... It entices its bearer into primeval forests, into mountains and deserts untenanted by man. - Horace Kephart

Posts: 6653 | Location: Switzerland | Registered: 11 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Why the choice of 700 Rem. Why not the Win 70?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Waffen
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it will be a sweet gun! I do have a few questions though. What made you decide to add the muzzle brake, I would think that would just make the need for you to "double plug" while at the range".

With or without the break that rifle makes my mouth water out of control. I certianly hope you have fun with it. I know I would!

Posts: 182 | Location: Texas | Registered: 10 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheSilverFox
posted Hide Post
i decided to choose the muzzle break because i want to see my hits and adjust when i miss.
I often shoot alone, My choice..

i too hate it when the guy besides me at the range shoots his 300win mag with a muzzle break.

But keep in mind that the muzzle break does come off.

it is designed to be shot with a bypod in the field, i still dont know wich scope i will put on it but i have plenty of time to decide

i chose the 6 br because hit has the reach, and it is proven as A 1OOO YARD BENCHREST ROUND,

I chose the remington single shot action because
i like the feel of it, i just find that the win has too much bolt travel 'personnal choice'
I did want a nesika action or a BAT action be the cost was substantialy more 1400 for the action alone VS. 600 for the remington + the fancy action requires more labour for more stock fitting
It all comes down to cost, and the gunsmith says it will shoot in the 0.1's but hes doesn't guarantee the shooter, lol

this gun will cost about 3500 $ US wich is more in canadian dollars, ouch, but the time has come.
My wife has no idea!!!

There came a point when went to local gun shops and nothing exited me anymore. I have all the guns i ever wanted out of mass manufacturers.

I chose this gunsmith because his is well known among world class benchrest shooters. and he knows his shit.
he told me he will design the rifle the way hes sees fit his rile barrels are accurate to 1/50 millionths of an inch

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
he told me he will design the rifle the way hes sees fit his rile barrels are accurate to 1/50 millionths of an inch

Thanks. That is all I needed to know about your project. Roll Eyes

one of us
posted Hide Post
What twist rate do you put into a rifle that is 6mm and you want long reach ? VLD bullets? weight ?

Posts: 901 | Location: Denver, CO USA | Registered: 01 February 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheSilverFox
posted Hide Post

let me rephrase, i dont think i was clear

he will design the gun to the best of his ability according to my specifications and his recommendations, and every detail will be discussed during the build project. I let him know that i was open to his suggestion since he has been building match winning rifles for many years and he is very well respected and knowledgeable.
he will build the rifle to assure the 1/4 inch guarantee. and the runnout on the barrelsis 1/50 millionths of an inh.

one of us
posted Hide Post
TheSilverFox,

one fifty millionths of an inch. That's .0000050" of runout.
What is actually being measured and by what type of device?

The reason I ask is that I own 2 Hart match grade stainless benchrest barrels and their specs are this, ripped off the Hart Rifle Barrels website:

Hart Rifles Barrels, Inc. guarantees all barrels to have a groove dimension tolerance of +.0005" (for example: .243 caliber can range from .2430 to .2435). Considerable testing has proven that any barrel within this tolerance will shoot as well as another. We further guarantee that the groove will not vary more than .0001 from breech to muzzle. Every barrel is measured with an air gage and examined with a borescope to insure that there are no tool marks or other defects which we feel would affect accuracy.

Hart is one of only a handful of winning competition barrelmakers and has been for decades. And so when I see so few zeros in their spec sheet it makes me wonder why the Clay Spencer has sooooo many?

Posts: 4799 | Location: Lehigh county, PA | Registered: 17 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheSilverFox
posted Hide Post
I dont know dude just check out his website, maybe i added to many zeros or something
this is getting technical for me

http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek017.html

One of Us
posted Hide Post
wished that the gunshop you are using was in Canada, how much hassel to get your new firearm into your loving arms. did you have to go through a dealer?