THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Lowest possible 30mm rings/mount for Rem model 7???

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Lowest possible 30mm rings/mount for Rem model 7???
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hi Guys,
I've just picked up a Nightforce 2-5x10 scope to mount on my custom Remington Model 7. The question is what is the lowest mounting setup available for a 30mm scope? The Nightforce onjective is a straight tube & i love super low mounted scopes so I want to get the scope as low as humanly possible. Any suggestions??

one of us
posted Hide Post
Your best bet "might be" to call NightForce and see what they recommend. Or go by a Gun Shop and request they mount it as low as possible.

I prefer the Burris Signature Rings with the Eccentric Inserts. I know they make a High, Medium, and ExtHigh in 30mm Rings, but the Dual Dovetail Rings and Standard(Redfield Style) are a different height than the Z-Rings(Weaver Style).

Here is what I mean for their 30mm Rings:

Dual Dovetail/Standard
Med = 0.180"
High = 0.300"
ExtHigh = 0.420"

Z-Rings
Med = 0.205"
High = 0.330"
ExtHigh = 0.455"

Basically that means the Height of the Base must be included in the calculation. You might check at the Burris Site to see if they have a Recommendation Sheet. Leupold does(or used to) for "their" scopes. You would need to match the Specs of your Scope with one of theirs and use that recommendation.

And of course the Barrel Taper must be accounted for. So, going to a good Gun Smith might produce the best results "if" he has the kind of Mounts you want to use.

Best of luck to you.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
After exhaustive research I've found that either leupold dovetail bses with their low rings or Dead Nutz low base ring combo to be the lowest available on the market place. I liked the idea of Dead Nuz's being a one piece arrange ment so have ordered one. Hopefully this might help someone out in the future.
With straight tube 30mm scopes becomoing more common maybe the manufactures could make some 30mm super lows....food for thought.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Hot Core:

Your best bet "might be" to call NightForce and see what they recommend. Or go by a Gun Shop and request they mount it as low as possible.

And of course the Barrel Taper must be accounted for. So, going to a good Gun Smith might produce the best results "if" he has the kind of Mounts you want to use.

Hotcore, in a perfect world such a course would be the best. In my experience however most smiths don't give a stuff about mounting scopes in anything other than what they have to hand.

Generally an internet search is the best course of action followed by breaking out the milling machine to get it truly low.

I would think that weavers were the lowest available. The base is very thin and the style of ring lends itself to being low. Not the most elegant but generally very low.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Let me just be a bit of a pest and tell you that it´s not the lowest rings/mount that you need, it´s the mount that fits your cheekweld, face and shooting position that you should use.

For example for standing stooting a slitghtly higher mount is required, for prone a lower and so forth,

in short analyze your needs and correct position of eye in correlation to the optics center and face on the stock, then buy mount.

If you are still going low, I would suggest Talley or Warne that bolts straight to the rifle at least that is how they make them flr other brands.

Best regards Chris

one of us
posted Hide Post
Excellent points by 1894mk2 and Chris.

I remember a guy at the Range who had a 56mm NightForce atop a really fancy BenchRest rig. He had to have Extra High Mounts, but I don't remember what brand they were. Amazing tiny hole groups one after the other.

He even asked if I wanted to shoot it, but I passed. Did sit behind that rifle and my eye aligned perfectly. I moved back a bit and then noticed the slightly higher Comb on that stock.

That was the first time I'd seen a NightForce up close and it sure impressed me as being a potentiall great Hunting Scope- especially with the Illumination feature.
-----

Hey fordnutter, I hope they fit perfect for you. I like my scopes mounted pretty close too. I always envisioned it helped reduce the effect of any unintentional "cant" in a Field Position, but that could be full of beans.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey guys...
There was very little between the weavers vs Leupold etc....I ended up going with the Dead Nutz system as it made me cringe putting weavers on a Nightforce scope...they can really damage a scope tube. And it would be a little like putting budget retreads on your FerrariSmiler
I have a short neck so likem nice and low!