Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Bullet choise
 Login/Join

posted
I have my mind set on trying both Speer 100gn btsp and Hornady Interlock also 100gn. They should perform perfect on deer, I have seen on the internet how a Interlock bullet looks when expanded but cant find any picture of the Speer bullet. Would like to hear if the Speer makes a mushroom like the Interlock. Have you put any of these bullits to the test.

Gunblond

posted Hide Post
I think, used on deer that speer won`t hold together like the interlocks.Have had speer 100grn spbt fragment on small deer myself.

Posts: 21 | Location: uk | Registered: 14 January 2007Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
How did it perform? Was there an exithole, and was it big, did you have any meatdamage?.

quote:
Originally posted by alshooter:
I think, used on deer that speer won`t hold together like the interlocks.Have had speer 100grn spbt fragment on small deer myself.

posted Hide Post
I am sorry, obviusly I did not read your message well enough.

quote:
Originally posted by alshooter:

one of us
posted Hide Post
Assume you are speaking of 25 caliber bullets? To answer intelligently, we need more info. For example, what cartridge are you using, what velocities do you expect? What ranges will you be shooting. Are we talking 90lb southern deer of 350lb Canadian bucks?

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The rifle I am shooting is 243 Win, with a 10" twist. Both bullits got velocity of 2860 ft/sec. 100 grain, bullet 40 grain Viht. N160. Ranges to shoot will be around 100-300 yards primary on roedeer weighing around 20-25 kilo may also be using them on Sika
quote:
Originally posted by olarmy:
Assume you are speaking of 25 caliber bullets? To answer intelligently, we need more info. For example, what cartridge are you using, what velocities do you expect? What ranges will you be shooting. Are we talking 90lb southern deer of 350lb Canadian bucks?

one of us
posted Hide Post
GB: IMO the Speer BT will open a little faster than the Hornady. But at the velocities you have either one should work very well. In fact for 25kg roe deer (and considering the distances you are shooting), I'd be inclined to favor the Speer.

Sika here can get fairly large, so might prefer the Hornady for them. But we are talking slight differences, and probably the best approach would be either to try both and pick the one that shoots best....or just pick one and go with it! Good luck and let us know how it goes!

Posts: 1416 | Location: Texas | Registered: 02 May 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have used the Hornady bullets in 257 (100 grain) for whitetails in a 257 Roberts. Similar velocities to what you are using. At very close ranges, less than fifty yards, they do come apart, ie shed jacket, but the lead chunk still gets about twelve to fifteen inches of penetration and the deer collapses on the spot. At the ranges you mention, they mushroom like the pictures. They done the job at both ranges, but at close range, there is some serious bloodshot meat and scattered bone fragments.

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Forgot to add, deer sizes have been anywhere from 80 pound yearlings for meat deer to 200 pound mature bucks.

Work hard and be nice, you never have enough time or friends.

Posts: 1195 | Location: Lake Nice, VA | Registered: 15 March 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
used the `243, 100grn speer which fragmented on roe.hornady and sierra both stay intact. using speer on sika a bit dodgy as the sika have heavy shoulders and can take a shot,the choice is yours.

Posts: 21 | Location: uk | Registered: 14 January 2007Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have used the 100 gr speer on Sika hinds, did the job OK. The worst case was when one ran about 100yards after taking a double lung shot. This was shot at a range of 80-85 yards, there was just neat little holes in the lungs, not much damage at all. The round was loaded with 43 grains of H4350 and I would estimate it's velocity in the area of 2900 fps. Of course just to complete the confusion others, with the same load and similar type ranges, have fallen over dead on the spot! I have yet to recover a bullet, never worried too much about that I am afraid, I shall look from now on, promise.

I have used Hornady 129 grain Interlocks in a 6.5x55 on Sika and found them to be extremely effective, So much so that I now have some 100 grain Interlocks to load for my 243.

I might go and do that now I think Big Grin

John

www.kosaa.co.uk

A clever man knows his strengths, a wise man knows his weaknesses

Posts: 275 | Location: Scotland | Registered: 18 July 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
are you compareing boatails to boatails,hornadys interlock will hold up better,because speer''s bt is made to open up faster, and they do,in my long range tests 625yds, all boatails lose their cores or when you dig them out of the sand and rocks they fall apart!!! not saying their not good bullets, they are, heres my free tip try some speer spitzers 100 gr. hot-cores, you''ll see that mushroom 4 sure!...regards jjmp Wink

Posts: 999 | Location: wisconsin | Registered: 26 April 2005Reply With Quote