THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Any flat bolt Ruger experts??

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Any flat bolt Ruger experts??
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I have found a Ruger flatbolt M77, like new in box with all papers for $650. It's a .250 Savage with serial number 70-503XX.

Any idea as to date of manufacture. Is the price reasonable or not?

FN in MT

Posts: 950 | Location: Cascade, Montana USA | Registered: 11 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Not an expert but I would say that is reasonable for a flatbolt LNIB. Most I see are 308 caliber 250 Savage is probably fairly rare in a flatbolt.>John

Posts: 725 | Location: Upstate Rural NY | Registered: 16 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
It was manufactured in 1972. I would think that $650 is reasonable for the condition and with the box and papers. I don't mean to steer you off, but I feel it worth mentioning that accuracy of the first rifles was spotty. Some were tack drivers, while others were not that accurate. There is some suspicion that Ruger used some Douglas barrels on the early rifles. I don't think it's true of the standard 77's but there is considerable disagreement. I believe that the Douglas barrels were only used on heavy barreled 77's and #1's.
As a collector piece it is fairly desireable.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have two flatbolts, one a .308 the other is a 6.5 rem Mag.
The .308 shoots good, but not great at about 1" with a good load, the 6.5 Mag is a beauty and shoots most everything 1" or less.

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
what is a flat bolt and how is it different than a m77

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The flat bolts were the M-77 s from the first few years of production . They're only different from the later push feed 77s in that the bolt handle had a sort of 1917 enfield shape to it. I also think Ruger took a few extra pains with those first few years and all the flat bolts I've seen have very nice fit and finish are are pretty smooth actions. The stock was also slimmer and trimmer than later 77 s .

I have one in 7mm mag I bought used in 1971 and I sort of like the looks and handling of the "flat bolt" shape , although some griped about it and that's why it was changed to the shape they have today .

The flat bolts also came in some less common calibers at first like 6.5 Rem , .350 Rem. , and 250 Savage.

Posts: 1660 | Location: Gary , SD | Registered: 05 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of cummins cowboy
posted Hide Post
so was the bolt shape kinda the dog leg style, like the 1917?? does anyone have a pic of one of these?? I have heard some of the early rugers especially the 220 swifts used douglas barrels does anyone know this to be true

Posts: 1755 | Location: slc Ut | Registered: 22 December 2002Reply With Quote