THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Hornets And K Hornets For Only $20. Handloaders only.

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Hornets And K Hornets For Only $20. Handloaders only.
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
The .22 Hornet is a niche cartridge and has survived on it's adequate varmint performance at moderate range and a modest report. It's only downside is that most Hornets are not accurate and even if they are adequate for the short ranges they are used at the brass does not last anyway.

Here is my Hornet load that I have used since the mid 1950's. It's quiet, accurate and costs only $20 to get set up! Take your existing .22 CF and load it with 4759 to the formula I use. The formula is 1/2 of the charge powder you use now for a full load but substitute 4759.

Using the .222 Remington that I started with back then it's full charge with a 40 gr bullet is about 22 grains so 11.0 grs of 4759 will produce 2,700 fps out of a .222! That's all there is to it.

Some will suggest this powder and that. Go ahead and substitute on your own but that charge of 4759 will not go in the cartridge as a double. IMR 4759 is bulkier than other powders and was designed for just this application.

The loads you make will out shoot any Hornet accuracy wise also and of course you can carry your full charges with you.

More tommorrow on how to sight them in.

[ 03-12-2003, 11:19: Message edited by: Savage99 ]

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
These "Hornet" loads will shoot to point of aim at 100 yds when the rifle is sighted for a normal 1.5" high at 100 yds with it's full power load. You could calculate your drop to longer range with "PointBlank" at www.huntingnut.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
SR4759 has been my choice for reduced loads for the last 30 years or so. I use between 8-11 grains in my .222 Remington.

I've been using the Sierra 40 grain HP, but may try the Nosler 45 grain Hornet.

[ 03-14-2003, 00:01: Message edited by: JB in SC ]

Posts: 129 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 16 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Your eight grain load should be about 1800 fps and that opens up another book. Its a .22 Rimfire Magnum now or a .17 HMR if you will. Such loads that produce around 2000 fps are in the Speer manuals for many cartridges. Now we have three rifles in one hand!

To sight in the "22 rim fire magnum" loads use the top of the bottom post on your Duplex scope crosshairs. To raise the point of impact lower the power and of course to lower the point of impact raise the variable scope magnification.