Find
Notify
Tools

.257 Weatherby
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Hey Guys

I just recently acquired a 257 weatherby model Sub Moa. Have any of you had any experience with this model? also what kind of ammo do you guys recommend as the only stuff in South Africa is the Nosler Ballistic Tip and the Barnes. Also What is the maximum specie of game that can be taken with this Rifle.

Thanks in advance
MD

Posts: 399 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of DuggaBoye
posted Hide Post
Mine was one of the older ones, sold now, shot great.

This was one of Roy's favorites, he even killed , Elk , Moose and Cape with one. (100 grain partition i think)

Think I'd stick to sub 400 lb or lighter PG.

I liked 120gr. Norma's in mine, but the Noslers and Barnes should work well.

DuggaBoye-O
NRA-Life
Whittington-Life
TSRA-Life
DRSS
DSC
HSC
SCI

Posts: 4593 | Location: TX | Registered: 03 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If it shoots it well, the Barnes Triple Shock is a perfect match for the .257 Wthby. At reasonable ranges, I would shoot up to kudu with it. It will work on elk here.

I have the Sub-MOA Vanguard, too.

Posts: 284 | Location: Orange, CA | Registered: 05 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot zebra, kudu, all the mountain type antelope with a 257Wby and Barnes X bullets.........

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for all the replies.

Calif. Hunter and Blair:
Could please describe the shots, bullet placement, bullet performance etc.

Also what scope do you recommend?
It currently has a Zeiss 2.5-10. Is this good enough? or should I fit a swarovski?

Posts: 399 | Location: Limpopo, South Africa | Registered: 13 November 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of K20350
posted Hide Post
My friend enjoys the .257 Roy for woodchucking. He sent me a pic of one he shot and it looked like a gutpile someone dumped on the ground and in no way looked anything like a groundhog LOL. He was using Speer TNT's. Also one day we were just messing around shooting at milk jugs out in the field and he center-punched a jug at 500yds on the first shot using TSX's. We had never shot the rifle that far or chronoed it or ran any ballistics yet as it was brand new (that day) at the time. He said he just held at where the duplex of the reticle in the leupy came together. I thought that was pretty impressive flat trajectory.

Posts: 445 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 02 January 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have only shot paper with mine, but the next deer hunting trip I will take it shooting the 117 bullet

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
Though mine is not a Sub MOA, it is a Stainless Sporter. I've shot factory 100 grain spire points and 100 grain TSXs through it. It shoots both very accurately and with my handloads it's even better. I believe the others have described what game it is capable of taking though I bought mine for antelope and deer. For larger animals I go with my '06 or 338-378 Wby. Bottom line, shot placement is always paramount. The 257 Wby with a sturdy bullet will penetrate quite well.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys for all the replies

The only problem we have is that the barnes factory load in South Africa is around $120.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I loaded some 115 grain TSX with Norma MRP2 for friend who killed many animals with that combination, even some very, very big Turkish wild boars.

He calls it the "death ray" because it shoots so flat and kills so well.

Posts: 8211 | Location: Germany | Registered: 22 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of TheBigGuy
posted Hide Post
I personally admire the cartridge as one of the best for medium game sized animals.

I'm sure it will go against the conventional wisdom of most folks. The 100 gr factory Weatherby Soft Point loads are really good for medium sized game in my opinion. These factory loads are topped with Hornady Interlocks. I'd shoot an Impala or Blesbok with those loads without any reservation.

A good friend has killed quite a few deer with those loads, my brother has and I have. The biggest deer I've shot with the 257WBY weighed around 230lbs. The BT ammo tends to really pop at 257WBY velocities. The 257WBY needs a little tougher bullet to penetrate well. The BTs will penetrate but they tend to make huge surface wounds in the 257WBY.

Posts: 1282 | Registered: 17 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MD375:
Thanks guys for all the replies.

Calif. Hunter and Blair:
Could please describe the shots, bullet placement, bullet performance etc.

Also what scope do you recommend?
It currently has a Zeiss 2.5-10. Is this good enough? or should I fit a swarovski?

MD375,

Zebra were with 115XFB.....one was a side on shot a 250 yards.....bullet exited. The other was a frontal head shot at 200 yards......no exit. bewildered

3 Cape Kudu with 90grXBT all side on chest shots.....all exits..........from 30 yards to 350+

Mountain Reedbuck at 420 yards with 115. Texas heart shot..........

Nyala at 350 with 90XBT........shoulder shot, exited.

Klipspringer at close to 450 yards with 90XBT.....blew him off his favorite rock Big Grin

I used a a 2-12X42 S&B Klassik..............

The Z6. 2.5-15x44 with BT would be PERFECTION!!!!!!

Verbera!, Iugula!, Iugula!!!

Blair.

Posts: 8808 | Location: Sydney, Australia. | Registered: 21 March 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Slowpoke Slim
posted Hide Post
Mine is not the sub moa model, but it shows a strong preference to the 115 gr Nosler ballistic tips over the 100 gr bt's. I also think the 115's are better at Wby velocity than the 100's, but that's just my opinion. For me the 115 bt's shoot so well I haven't bothered to try any other brand of bullet.

I'm also using Alliant Reloader #22 powder, as it shows a preference in my gun to Re #25 ( I don't know why, but I run with that). I'm using Federal Mag rifle primers as well. I'm trying to keep my load recipes simple and few these days.

I'm gauging by your question that you don't handload your hunting ammo? Sorry I can't help with commercial ammo performance as I've never fired a factory round down my barrel.

Si tantum EGO eram dimidium ut bonus ut EGO memor

Posts: 1146 | Location: Bismarck, ND | Registered: 31 August 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Mk V 257 does very well with 100gr Barnes TSX and a heavy dose of RL-25.

Free men should not be subjected to permits, paperwork and taxation in order to carry any firearm. NRA Benefactor

Posts: 1652 | Location: Deer Park, Texas | Registered: 08 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Slowpoke Slim

I acquired the gun less than a week ago, so I haven't had time to work up loads for it. I have purchased all the equipment needed. Thanks For your help. I really appreciate it.

Thanks guys

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a fine rifle and cartridge! I think it is one one of the finest cartridges on earth! I have always liked the Nosler Ballistic Tip. The .257 bee delivers 1500 ft-lbs at 400 yards with 120's, but be careful of bullet selection and impact velocity. Too close can be a problem with high velocity and bullet impact. I'd also stick to the 400 lb size game but the .257 Weatherby with Barnes is an elk candidate.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
ive got a few diff 257 roys. i have shot the 110 accubonds hand loaded and factory with great success. the best 2 tests were 2 different axis bucks on the ranch in Texas (250 lbs). both were about 50 yds. one was on the shoulder, bullet was found on opposite side in hide, held together very nicely. the other my wife shot through the ribs and had a 1.5 in exit wound. i have shot countless deer (doe culling) none have moved after hit, and lots of hogs. i tell my friends that we bring down that if it runs away you probably missed it. love it!

One of Us
Picture of Big Bore Boar Hunter
posted Hide Post
My wife has a Sub MOA Stainless in 338 win mag. The only complaint was the factory trigger. You could send it in to have it reworked, we opted for a Timney trigger. It is scary to watch that rifle print 1/2" groups at 100 yds with 225 TSXs.

As for the 257 wby, It will take almost anything you can think of, but I feel most comfortable with antelope, deer, black bear, and coyotes (they explode kinda funny).

John

Posts: 1343 | Location: Northern California | Registered: 15 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great cartridge and rifle! Have used the .257 bee for years. I use the Nosler Ballistic Tip with no problems. We have used our .257's on game up to 400 pounds.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot a .257 Wby for years. It is an Accuamrk with a 6X24 Burris Signature scope. My pet loads are 115 or 120 grain Nosler Partitions at 3450 to 3500 fps. My two grandsons use it in Tennessee, where you can take 3 Deer per day, and generaly get up to a dozen each year. They recovered one 115 grain Partition that entered between the shoulder and neck, head-on. The recovered bullet was perfectly mushroomed in the hide of the opposide side ham, that result speaks for itself. Good shooting.

phurley

Posts: 2363 | Location: KY | Registered: 22 September 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Dont have the Bee but shoot a 25-06. I would stay away from the 100 grain Ballistic tips for big game Nosler reccomends them for 3100 fps or below. I would think it would be great with the 117's or 120 grain bullets though.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MD375 If you can get hold of a copy of Handloder Magazine #236 March 2008 they have a write up on Vanguard 257 Weatherby

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Albert

Any idea where I can get a copy the magazine from?

Thanks In Advance
MD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MD375: here is the address http://www.riflemagazine.com/h...136&CFTOKEN=51428663 I sure you have better chance of having them send you a copy than we have of getting one of your African hunting magazines sent over here.

Posts: 538 | Location: North of LA, Peoples Rep. of Calif | Registered: 27 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I shoot the Weatherby accumark in 257 wby. A 100 gr partition at 3,600 fps+ from a 257 wby is hard to beat. w/ 200 yd zero and .377 bc, bullet is .8" high at 100 yds. -4.6" @ 300 yds., -13.7 @ 400 yds. It kills hogs and deer DRT. Don't know if you reload, but 73 gr. of IMR 7828, 100 gr nosler partitions, fed 215m primers is my go to load.
GWB

Posts: 23752 | Location: Pearland, Tx,, USA | Registered: 10 September 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey Geedubya

Great looking rifle and one serious combination for whitetail. It will be just the right medicine for our springbok. Thanks For the advice.

MD

One of Us
posted Hide Post
MD375:What are you going to use for powder? S385 look like its about at the bottom end of powders that can be used. Can you get hold of slower powders over there? PS: what do hunters in the RSA think of GSCustom bullets? They get alot of hype by some people on Accurate Reloading (maybe somebody is getting free bullets).

one of us
posted Hide Post
On my 257 Wby I have a Burris 3X9 So that way I can shoot long shots or close shots.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Albert:

S385 is our slowest burning powder but I'm not sure it is ideal for the .257. Also it is very difficult to get any other powders.

As for GS custom bullets, I have had no experience with them as yet but I know a few hunter who swear by them. Hopefully I will be try some out next year.

Take care
MD

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Albert:

S385 is our slowest burning powder but I'm not sure it is ideal for the .257. Also it is very difficult to get any other powders.

As for GS custom bullets, I have had no experience with them as yet but I know a few hunter who swear by them. Hopefully I will be try some out next year.

Take care
MD

Whatever powders you have available that are between IMR-4831 and H-1000 will work in the 257. My opinion is that H-1000 is a bit slow for the 257 but it does work. I use IMR-7828 with good results though it is a bit temperature sensitive.

Ken....

"The trouble with our liberal friends is not that they are ignorant, but that they know so much that isn't so. " - Ronald Reagan

Posts: 5386 | Location: Phoenix Arizona | Registered: 16 May 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
My Ultra lightweight likes 115/120gr bullets with Re25. that Zeiss will do just fine.

life member NRA (Endowment)
member Arizona Big Horn Sheep Society
member Arizona Antelope Foundation
member Arizona Wildlife Foundation

Posts: 146 | Location: Oracle, Az. | Registered: 01 October 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the advice Heat. I will try to get some of those powders around here.

Ahab:

What bullets do you shoot? Is the 120 gr really any less flatter shooting than the 115gr?

Thanks
MD

One of Us
Picture of Heat
posted Hide Post
quote:
Thanks for the advice Heat. I will try to get some of those powders around here.
Thanks
MD

I should have stated any powders you have available with a burn rate between the two powders I mentioned. The 257 will like them on the slower side but I have seen loads for IMR-4831 that can be used with my 257, '06 and even my 338-378 Wby. Not ideal for my Weatherbys but that will give you an idea of the range of powders that can be used with the 257.

Ken....

One of Us
Picture of Red C.
posted Hide Post
Congratulations on a great gun!

The .257 Wby Mag is a tremendous rifle and cartridge. I like the 117 grain Hornady BTSP. I also like the 100 grain Sierra BTSP.

I have found that Reloader 22 works really well in my rifle.

Red C.
Everything I say is fully substantiated by my own opinion.

Posts: 909 | Location: SE Oklahoma | Registered: 18 January 2008Reply With Quote