New
Find
Notify
Tools

95 gr. SST for hogs,243
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I'm getting ready to try some Hornady 95 gr. SST in my 243 for hogs. Any experiences or suggestions?

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
You might find the SST to be a little thin in the jacket for hogs.

Posts: 908 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would suggest the 95 gr. bullet be a Nosler partition or the Hornady Interbond, I shoot the 80 gr. GS Customs in my 6x45 and have shot deer, antelope and African Plains game with it an not even the slightest complaint...

I have not used the SST to date other than for testing on targets, but have a nephew that tells me they are too fragile for small whitetail deer?? except on broadside shots.

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42171 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've shot 15 or 20 hogs with the 105 grain Speer Hot Core and I would have to say that penetration was adequate but no more on large hogs. I'm sure the SST will do a great job on head/neck shots, but I seriously doubt that it's going to give complete penetration on anything over 80 lbs.

In .243 caliber rifles, I think the 80-85 grain monometal bullets are king.

analog_peninsula
-----------------------

It takes character to withstand the rigors of indolence.

Posts: 1580 | Location: Dallas, Tx | Registered: 02 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If you don't mind bloodshot shoulders you will like them. They will kill pigs nicely, and dead. You will not get many exits on adults, but anything forward of the diaphragm will give a pretty quick expiration.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Like mentioned you not going to get deep penetration with those on a hog. They open up REAL fast. I would aim for the spot below the ear and even with the eye, or straight up the front leg on a broadside, and not even consider anything else other than right between the eyes on a head on.

They are simply too fragile for much else at the velocity your going to get out of them with most loads.

If I were going to go light, I would use the Interbond or GMX, or the Partition or one of the Barnes. I normally use the 100gr bullets in our .243's but do use the Partition in one of them.

Wished I could offer better info, but after 20 plus something years of shooting hogs with a ton of different bullets, this is an honest answer based on field experience.

Mike / Tx

One of Us
Picture of scottfromdallas
posted Hide Post
I'm probably the minority so far but I think you are fine. I doubt you will get an exit but SST will penetrate plenty and make a complete mess of the vitals. It is generally a fast killer.

Hogs aren't cape buffalo no matter how much ammo companies want you to believe it by offering outrageously expensive hog specific ammo.

Posts: 1941 | Location: Texas | Registered: 19 July 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Crazyhorseconsulting
posted Hide Post
I believe you will be okay as long as you pick your shots and mind the range. I have had clients using .7mm Rem Mag not get a pass thru at just slightly over 100 yards on larger hogs with shoulder shots.

Bullets, even premium bullets do funny things sometimes when hitting an animals body. Try the bullets and judge the results. If you can get back to us with your thoughts. Good Luck on your hunts.

Even the rocks don't last forever.

Posts: 31014 | Location: Olney, Texas | Registered: 27 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the 95 grain sst will be fine on hogs i have 2 rifles in 243 a tikka varmint with 1-10 twist barrel that i shoot the 95 grn sst in and have killed many mule deer,white tails and even a cow elk with a high shoulder shot and had no problems i now shoot 87 grain berger vlds in that rifle and use it mainly as my coyote/wolf rifle.

my second gun in 243 is a custom job shooting 105 grain bergers at 2900 fps and its killed elk, moose and deer at ranges from 100-720 yards just put that bullet where it needs to go and youll be fine i will admit the sst opens up fast and is better suited to either a high shoulder shot or lungs. and more so lung shots exp on bigger stuff with larger bones.

Posts: 48 | Location: ft st john bc | Registered: 28 March 2014Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of graybird
posted Hide Post
I stay very far away from the 95 gr SST in 243. I've seen it twice not perform as suggested. Once on a small buck antelope here and twice in Africa; one a warthog and the other an impala.

That bullet should be used for nothing more than a varmint bullet in my opinion.

Graybird

"Make no mistake, it's not revenge he's after ... it's the reckoning."

Posts: 3722 | Location: Okie in Falcon, CO | Registered: 01 July 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of D Humbarger
posted Hide Post
Barnes TIPPED TRIPLE-SHOCK. Done deal.

Doug Humbarger
NRA Life member
Tonkin Gulf Yacht Club 72'73.
Yankee Station

Try to look unimportant. Your enemy might be low on ammo.

Posts: 8350 | Location: Jennings Louisiana, Arkansas by way of Alabama by way of South Carloina by way of County Antrim Irland by way of Lanarkshire Scotland. | Registered: 02 November 2001Reply With Quote