THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    22 K Hornet SM Pistol Primers?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 K Hornet SM Pistol Primers?
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
22 K Hornet SM Pistol Primers?

I have read in the past about people using SM Pistol Primers in the 22 Hornet and K Hornet instead of SM Rifle Primers with good results. I have a good 22 K Hornet Laod for CCI SM Rifle Primers. But I am out of them and have a ton CCI SM Pistol Primers. So I would like to adapt the load to SM Pistol Primers.

How do Small Pistol Primers burn as compared to Small Rifle Primers in a K Hornet size case? Do I need to adjust my powder charge?

Currently I am using 13.5 gr of WW295, 30 Gr Barnes Hornet Varmint Grenade and CCI Small Rifle Primers. I use the same load with a 40gr Nosler Ballistic Tip.

Any input on this would be greatly appreciated.

Posts: 694 | Location: Santa Ynez Valley, Ca | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Most SP primers have a slightly thinner cup than SR primers so they will contain a bit less pressure without piercing. Typically, the loads you would use in the realively thin Hornet brass would not produce enough pressure to pierce an SP, but to be on the safe side, particularly with that 40 grain load, I would back off a bit then work back up if switching to the SP.

By the way, although there's nothing particularly wrong with using the SP's, and they will even help keep you from excessive pressure in the Hornet case by exhibiting pressure signs sooner, I own three Hornets or K-Hornets and have found no advantage of the SP over the SR in any of them. Others disagree.

Posts: 13242 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
Picture of NRC
posted Hide Post
Standard deviation between shots was reduced when I switched to small pistol mag (cci) primers.

I was shooting ihmsa field pistol with a 10" TC, 52gr bullet, and max charge of H110 (not much different than w296).

Rifle primers weren't bad - it just worked out that the pistol ones worked better for me.

Perhaps load a few up of both, test them for accuracy and consistency, and post the results?

Posts: 52 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 29 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
just what stonecreek said

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't have a K hornet, but I shoot small pistol primers in both of my 22 hornets with better results than small rifle primers.

NRA Patron member

Posts: 2640 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 08 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I got some SM Rifle Primers and loaded 5 of each and shot them (with my 30gr bullets). I was not able to tell a difference between the two group sizes. But 2 five shot groups is hardly enough data to really tell.

I am going to load a few more and chronograph them and see if that sheds any more light on things. I will post the results. Thanks for the input guys.

Posts: 694 | Location: Santa Ynez Valley, Ca | Registered: 14 March 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
I would suggest the small pistol magnum version with the W296 style powder...

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
just what stonecreek said

tu2 +2

If you've got SP primers to burn and you're satisfied with the results - why not?

Our preference for 22 Hornet (or K-Hornet) when attempting to eak out every last bit of acuracy has always been the Remington 6 1/2.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Well I got set up and found out that the battery in my Chronograph was dead. So no Velocity Data.

I will try and take some more measurments.