Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger #1 ,in .223
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted
dancingAfter a not so sterling begging last week, my #1 ruger in .223 has started shooting MOA. A 7 shot group at 1/2" at 50 yds was followed by a 3 shot 1/4" group at 50yds.

Roll EyesMy buddy put 4 out of 5 into a 1" circle at 100 yds. and my cousin put 4 out of 4 into a 1" circle at 100 yds. Both of the 100 yd. groups would have been bettter but the shooters were not use to useing a POS trigger. Eekerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
What did you do to make it start shooting?

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buliwyf:
What did you do to make it start shooting?

When we started shooting it yesterday it wasn't what you'd call very good. After about 40 rounds (guessing) it got better and better. The use of Berger 52gr. fbhps helped some. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Are you planning to do anything about the trigger or is it "breaking-in"?

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bounty hunter
posted Hide Post
i,ve got the same rifle. i bought it at least 20 yrs ago and words can't explain the fun that i have had playing with it over the years. amen to the bad trigger. i replaced mine immediatly w/ a timmney set trigger, made all the difference in the world. mine seems to be just like yours, 1" no better - no worse banana

b h

Posts: 113 | Location: Texas,USA | Registered: 27 October 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Buliwyf:
Are you planning to do anything about the trigger or is it "breaking-in"?

I may do just what Bounty Hunter did. bananabanana and all roger

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I was fooling around on the E Arthur Brown site and saw that he has some kind of Austrian made single set trigger. Looked really nice. I have a#1 in 7x57 made when they slowed the twist by 1/2 or 3/4 so it won't shoot much over the 154 grainers all that well. Mine is no better than a 1" gun. I put a washer between the forearm an hanger, and need to figure out how to do the set screw on the hanger job to see of that helps.

I have a Leupold fixed 6 on it really like the set up for deer hunting on the move.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote