THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Why the "new" cartridges

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Why the "new" cartridges
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Speaking specifically of the new WSSM cartridges but will include some of the newer new shells.

Other than a sales manager /marketing dept. brain child, what do the new cartridges actually benefit the shooter over the current crop of .243 diameter shells. There is the .240 WBY, 6mm rem, 243 win, 243-284, 243 ackley, and most like many others that I have not listed.

I see the length difference between the 243 win and the WSSM is noticable but exactly what does that short of a shell actully benefit a shooter?

Quicker follow up shots because of shorter bolt throw? Gimme a break.

The weight saved on the action for a gun to tote all day long? I cant see where the weight difference would be noticed and if you have a long range rifle then you are not going to put that kind of shell into a (my particular gun) M77 compact with a 16.5 inch barrel.

At what point does the ratio of the diameter of the case and the total volume of the case become irrelevant to the diameter of the bullet?

I seem to remember an article in one of the gun mags 15 - 20 years ago (I think it was guns and ammo) that one of the gunwriters had taken a .50 bmg case and necked it to .22. He used solid copper wire that he put in a lathe and turned to the right diameter. He called it the .22 eargesplittenloudenboomer as I recall. Anyone elser remember this article???

But it gets back to the how much case capacity is max for usefullness for a .243 diameter barrel?

Just my thoughts

Jim B.

Posts: 1115 | Location: Huntsville, Alabama | Registered: 07 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Jim.....

(1)why the .243 Winchester and the 6mm Remington?

(2)why the .270, the .280 and the .284?

(3)why the .308 Norma and the .300 WinMag?

Having ask these questions, I think the new really short cases in .22 and .243 will have the benefit of longer barrel life from using less powder to reach certain velocities......maybe not a big deal to many shooters but for those who put a lot of rounds down the barrel it can have an impact.

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Dan in Wa>
posted
New calibers sell new rifles.
Do we need them ...no
Do we buy them...some do

one of us
posted Hide Post
This hobby of ours is driven by curiosity and wants, not needs. Needs were filled long ago....
I doubt my favorite cartridge availability will be affected by these new offerings, and if it gets newbies fired up, great!
I know I'm guilty of "not being interested" but years later changing my mind (cuz now I "want" it).
New products survive if their is a market....we'll see.

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
<Don Martin29>
posted
You only need a single reason to do something. It's been 47 years since the last factory 6mm came out (Weatherby does not count in my opinion and the 6mmBR is not mainstream) and if you were employed by Winchester and worried about a layoff would you be in favor of a new cartridge intoduction or not?

I bought my first SS-plastic stocked rifle this fall and I like it. It's a 7MM WSM. The cartridge is nice but no big deal. Lots of others will do what it will but since I always liked the 7MM Rem Mags except for their belt I deceided to try one. So far it's more accurate than any 7mm That I have had (just the rifle, cartridges have little to do with accuracy) and I plan to try it for long range varmint blasting also.

So when the new 243 WSSM comes out I will buy one. If all they offered was the same SS rifle in .243 I would not buy a new rifle.

www.shortmags.org

one of us
Picture of Dutch
posted Hide Post
Oh, come on. It's something new to play with!

Seriously, I like the 240WBY, but the 243whizzum allows for a much shorter action: mini-mauser size. That means, we can save well over 1" in the action, with the resultant weight savings -- which we can then stick on the barrel, where it belongs!

The short powder column allows more uniform powder ignition -- less finicky load development. Shorter actions are theoretically stiffer and more accurate. Less powder burned, as mentioned. Faster powder, which results in less muzzle blast, and better performance in shorter barrels.

One big benefit, to me, of the short bolt throw is that the bolt doesn't bop my glasses when I cycle it. That's a big deal.

In my opinion, the biggest benefit of the WSSM development is the resulting availability of "mini" actions. Finally, we will have a reasonable supply of actions and aftermarket parts for 223 length or less cartridges (the BR series, comes to mind). JMO, Dutch.

Posts: 4564 | Location: Idaho Falls, ID, USA | Registered: 21 September 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have to agree with Dutch I would love one (after a few years) the wife would hate to see another one but the 1000 yard boy and girls are starting to get hyped up two fellow f-class shooters are retireing thier 284 wildcats to have a go at the new WSSM don't blame them any small improvement is a plus. Some are saying in a few years time you would see a high percentage WSSM on the shooting line only the future will tell.

[ 11-26-2002, 01:44: Message edited by: HuntDownunder ]

Posts: 30 | Location: australia | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think alot of lessons can and have been learned from remington introducing the 35 whln. There was a massive flux of buyers, they subsided, then remington/and others dumped them. Now companies are willing to devote alot of time to new cartridges but concern themselves little if it survives at all. Thats why many other companies are not sharing "the wealth" on rem,win new projects, too short term perhaps. Another good example of this is the 17 HRM this poor little cartridge has exactly on plastic bullet to go along with its name. This cartridge has had a long road of development (as you remember Fed and cooper arms had played with this idea awhile back.) Also the effectivness of this cartridge will be greatly compromised if a "ordinary soft point" or a "ordinary HP" is used... thats why I think you dont see other load alternatives for the 17 HRM.
As for why companies pick on the 243s for a cartridge.... they know they will reach multi cultural shooters... varmit hunters/deer hunters and such.

just my thoughts
take care
smallfry

Posts: 2045 | Location: West most midwestern town. | Registered: 13 June 2001Reply With Quote