New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need new .22
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Due to a recent refinance I find myself with a little extra cash. Was wondering what everyone would recommend for an accurate, nice looking bolt action .22? Already have a very tricked out 10/22 and don't really want another autoloader. I'm leaning toward the 77/22 but don't know about how accurate they are, they do look nice. Also I can't spend more than $500. I was thinking of topping it with a 4X Leupold RF scope. Whole rig should not cost more that $750-800

Posts: 167 | Location: Woodland, CA USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Increase your budget just a little and get one of the new Kimber Classics.....beautiful and fvery accurate .22lr

Posts: 4360 | Location: Sunny Southern California | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<Eagle Eye>
posted
The Ruger 77/22 are okay but there are better choices. The ones I have had were not tack drivers and the triggers suck (like all Ruger triggers). Consider a Sako Finnfire...well known for their accuracy and attention to detail in manufacturing. The triggers are very nice and easily user adjustable. Another one to consider is a .22 from the CZ line but they aren't in the same class as a Sako.

As for the scope, I have several Leupold RF scopes and they are certainly good. Also look at the Burris line for 22 scopes....they make a nice 4-12 AO which would be a perfect scope for gopher hunting.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I love to shoot the 22 Long Rifle Rimfire bolt action rifle.

I have a new Kimber and it came with a proof target that reflects a 0.260" five shot group @ 50 yards. Really pretty wood w/fit and finish that is to die for. The trigger is the best of any rim fire I have ever pulled. What else can I say, a very fine rifle, shoots Winchester Power Points very well.

I have also obtained a 40 year old Savage bolt action 22LR rim fire manufactured by Anshultz. I bought this gun from a used gun rack at the local gun shop that included a Ziess fixed 6x scope attached(I should say I stole it) that my daughter likes to shoot. This rifle has a few scars as any gun might have that is 40+ years old...this gun shoots!!!

I have just purchased a CZ 452 Silhouette that is surprisingly accurate, not the perfect trigger but all in all a great value. I scoped it w/a Weaver 2-7 power Grand Slam rim fire scope, just about right $ for the package. It shoots all the ammo I tested very well...you know the Federal copper coated Walmart stuff we all like to use. So good are the groups, that after I fired a remarable 10 shot group from the bench, I proceeded to shoot out all four staple that held the targt in place so that I could keep the target to show off to my shooting buddys. I was disapointed in that it required five bullet to remove four staples @ 25 yards.

Under $500 for the package!

I also have a Ruger M77/22 that at one time was my best shooting bolt action 22LR. The trigger was very poor but easy to fix w/after market tune up parts from Midway USA. I am now looking at a match grade barrel in an attempt to get it in the same accurace range as my other three favorites!

[ 10-22-2002, 04:38: Message edited by: Vman ]

Posts: 53 | Location: Grand Junction, CO USA | Registered: 13 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Looks like my best bets are Kimber, CZ, and Ruger. I'll give them all a look. Anybody have an idea how much more the Kimber would be?

NoCAL

Posts: 167 | Location: Woodland, CA USA | Registered: 11 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of yotecaller
posted Hide Post
At $150 you can get a Marlin 25n and have lots of money left for a scope and ammo.

Posts: 345 | Location: NH | Registered: 24 September 2002Reply With Quote
<tgwh>
posted
CZ rimfires have an uncanny knack of shooting most brands of ammo very well. They will come close to rivalling the accuracy of a kimber with HV hunting ammo at about 1/2 the price (NZ). No they aren't match chambered, however accuracy vs value for money they can't be beaten. The new nickel/classic stocked models are as sexy as hell.
I have also spent a reasonable amount of time with Ruger 77/22. Biggest advantage is free rings, 10 shot rotary magazine (a must have for volume shooting) + many aftermarket accessories not available to other bolt action 22's. They won't match the accuracy of the CZ, but aren't far behind.
Kimbers are match chambered, and so will always have the accuracy edge, are better finished & now have CRF!

<Cobalt>
posted
I have both the Ruger and the CZ. The Ruger is topped with the Leupold 4X RF and the CZ Varmint with a 6-24X50 Swift. The trigger in the Ruger is horrible and I have done nothing to improve it. I replaced the trigger spring in the CZ. Too light for hunting but perfect for small groups off the bench. Cobalt

one of us
Picture of jpb
posted Hide Post
I've owned both Rugers and CZ 452's and a bunch of others, and I'd have to recommend the CZ (Brno) hands down. Mine has well over 50,000 shots through it (I used it in competition) with zero problems.

The CZ trigger is much like the Win M70 -- simple and very easy to adjust if you need to. Ruger triggers, well, they can be improved but it isn't easy to do so safely without spending quite a bit of money.

Use Millet rings with the CZ, not the expensive CZ rings.

And, I'd have to agree with the post above regarding the ability of the CZ to shoot very well with many kinds of ammo. I can't imagine why, but I've seen many of them do just that -- much less fussy than any other .22 I've had (including Anschutz rimfires).

jpb

Posts: 1006 | Location: northern Sweden | Registered: 22 May 2002Reply With Quote
<22BR>
posted
With your limit of $500 I'd look for a used Sako Finnfire. No limit how about a Cooper guaranteed 1/4" at 50 yards.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Gents,
I will also vote for the C-Z 452. I have a few 22's including a tricked out 10-22 and a new 452 in the "trainer" guise..I love the C-Z. I won't be selling any of my rifles so don't ask,but 452 is by far the best value out there. I paid $199.00 for the rifle and added a 10 round mag for 20 more,mounted a BSA 4x12 in Millet rings and went out and shot a brick of wal-mart federals through it and was hitting everything under the sun. including some ten round groups at 50 yards I can cover with a quarter. This is a stock rifle with no trigger work whatsoever. The bolt was gritty at first,but that got smooth as the shooting went on. All said --a very good value. I recommend with no disclaimers. 45nut

Posts: 538 | Location: elsewhere | Registered: 07 July 2001Reply With Quote