Find
Notify
Tools

Re: .243 Win - Inherent ?
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of sako
posted
This is a little wierd as im too a left hand shooter using a right hand rifle and i did own a 870 pump too

Well as i read your post and then ran to the garage to test if i could drop a bullet into a fired case only to discower i had no fired case(yeah i love to reload) so ill test it some other time!

This thing of mine with the trigger is becuse i like to shoot gooses at long range with my rifle and i shoot em in the head or the neck and thus want a light trigger!

The reason i use rifle at greylags is that i live in a wery open flat country with little vegetation to hide in!
Ofcourse i use a shotgun most of the time but this is a fun alternative!

Regards

Posts: 290 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 06 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
Sako
It is a small strange world isn't it.
Your rifle will probably pass the drop test when you find a fired case.Especially if it shoots well already.
When I was growing up on the Texas coast, we had many ducks and few deer.
Now we have few ducks and many deer.
Man does certainly effect the environment.
I'm a half baked birder when I'm not fishing or hunting.
I've heard great things about the seabirds of iceland.
I understand it's a great place if you can stand a little cold weather.
good luck
Covey16

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
Sako
The rifle that caused me to start posting on AR(had visited the site regularly for a couple of years) was a 1962 model Sako Forrester in 243. I inherited it from my dad who shot it about 3 times each year. Twice at a pie plate ,once at a deer usually at very short range. He was a hunter not a shooter. I got it and discovered that it shot erratically and kicked harder than my 30-06. Long story short,got help from G Malmborg and others,took rifle to a very good local gunsmith who rereamed the chamber and epoxy bedded the rifle. The chamber had a very short neck area and no leade at all.
Happy ending. Rifle now shoots very well especially for a sporter weight deer rifle.
Bad Sako chambers may be a rarity, but it happened to me.
Covey16

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of sako
posted Hide Post
Well i have a 1967 model Forrester with heavi barrel and it kicks pretty hard too for a ,243!!! There is just the plastic butt plate and that has something to do with the recoil but the heavi barrel should compensate some of it?

I do not consider myself to be recoil shy but the rifle always surprises me and other shooters that have shot it!

It kicks harder than a similar weight 308 rifles i have tested!

My rifle is bedded too and does shoot pretty good, just wish i could get a nice set trigger on it!

Regards

Posts: 290 | Location: Iceland | Registered: 06 January 2004Reply With Quote