New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5x55 AOL??
 Login/Join

<capt david>
posted
I have an idea! I think I want a 6.5x55, actualy I know I want a 6.5x55, based on a Remington short action. I hunt "smallish" whitetails and "meat" pigs.,all under 150 lbs. I will use the 125partition and the 139 Hornady sp and SST alonr with lighter bullets. Is it possible to load these short enough to fit the Remington short action without the bullets taking up too much of the powder space? thanks in advance, capt david

one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the Remington short action, but in my long-throated Sako I load to an OAL of 3.055". That puts me just a tad off the lands, contrary to Barnes' recommendation. Incidentally, my 6.5 loves Barnes XLCs - 120s and 140s. Give them a try when you get yours ready.

What is the maximum OAL allowed with your action?

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Capt If you insist on having it in a short action 700 go with the 260 Rem. Same ballistics as the 6.5x55 and it will fit in the short action . The 6.5x55 is too long

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree with snowman. Just go with the 260 and there will be no question. The brass is the same price.

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
The 139 grain SP and SST you refered to are 7mm, not 6.5.

Hornady does make a 129 grain SP and SST, however, along with the 140 grain versions.

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote