New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: 204 Ruger - Implications
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Couldn't agree more, the more interest there is in the small calibers the more components get made, the better it is for us. As soon as the varmint hunters get their mitts on this new round there will be some real excited shooters out there. It definately bodes well for the sub caliber fanatics, much like myself!

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
OK, I'm pretty docile I guess - more so as I get older. It would have been nice to see Todd and the Small Caliber News get some credit for development and sponsorship. But the reality is Ruger probably wanted their name on a rifle cartridge to go with their handgun cartridge. Can't blame them.

The really great news for all us small caliber shooters is the attention the new cartridge will give to this "class" (for lack of a better word) of cartridge. New bullets will almost certainly be developed (Sierra, Speer, etc), maybe a new powder, new 20 cal tools and toys, etc. All in all, we as shooters should realize this is pretty big and will likely have a substantial positive impact on the sport - no matter what your favorite cartridge is or whether you would ever buy the 204 Ruger.

After looking around at the currently available .204 barrels, I'm tempted to build one just for fun. Hopefully, the coyote population won't find it so funny!

Good shootin' and always have fun!

Posts: 17 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I totally agree,BirdColonel. Todd and Gregg Tannel should get alot of credit for the 20 caliber come back. Even though the 20 calibers where introduced in the early 60's, it took some planning and marketing to get it back up and running again. I'm in the process of making my Tac.20 right now, I have the dies and the barrel should be here in about 3-4 weeks from Pac-Nor. I'm getting itchy everyday for this to all happen and start playing with this new project. I have some answers for my friends that have questions that need to be cleared up on this caliber and its trajectory. I just can't wait to see there faces!!!!

posted Hide Post
tbeasley1,

You'll be just in time for spring weather at the range. I�d be interested in hearing how it performs. What is your action and what kind of dies did you get? When I first started reloading, I always preferred RCBS. But now I believe most manufacturers have tightened tolerances with better machining techniques. My last set were Redding and I really like them.

Always wanted to try hand dies, like Wilson or some other custom shop, but never did.

I have read lots of good things about the Pac-Nor. Do you know anyone who has tried the Shilen barrel in .204?

Good luck with your project.

Posts: 17 | Location: Tennessee | Registered: 16 January 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I agree Colonel. Too many people consider this a zero sum game. All I hear is "Why this , or why that" and "my 22whizzbang will do everything this will do", etc. Folks, it isn't a replacement, it's an addition! Shoot, I'll buy one to go along with my 223's and other hi speed 22's and 24 caliber varmint guns just for something else to shoot. It's another gun that I can put in the rotation for when the varmint shooting gets hot and heavy and the guns need a chance to cool down.

Posts: 12711 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
If I do get one it will be a #1. If rem or win came out with one I would probably get one.... especially in the Win Coyote!

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Dittos guys. I agree with what you are saying. The new round will benefit us alot more than just giving us a new chambering. You probably noticed my logon name. I am not a new member actually. My old name got eaten with the changeover a few weeks ago. Saeed says they lose some everytime they update. Guess I decided to go with something new this time. Still not sure if I will be adding the Tac-20 or the 204 to my 5mm Craig. I was thinking Pac Nor all along but am open to suggestions on the barrel too! Looking forward to more 20 caliber discussions in the future! PL

Posts: 5 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 25 January 2004Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
The 204 Ruger fills the biggest hole in the lineup. It's a long way from 17 to 22. It would be like going from a 22 to a 270 with nothing in between. Nobody would stand for that.

one of us
posted Hide Post
I agree that Ruger did rip off Todd, Greg, and Dave all you have to do is look at the reammer of the 20 Tac to see that the reammer was run in a bit deeper and wow we now have the 204 I think if nothing else they schould give a word of thanks or maybe a bit of credit to those that did all the testing and shared Ideas with the big company's so they could pull this off in the frist place.

Other than that I think that it will fill the need as was talked over in the other poast's above have a great Sunday.>>><<< Coyote Slayer

Posts: 46 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Don't you suppose Hornady had a considerable say so in the developement of this cartridge. It's definitely to Hornadys advantage that it is a case that can't readily be formed from the plentiful 223 case. I agree that Todd should get a good share of the credit for any 20 cal. ever being adopted commercially. I just hope it is enough of a commercial success that other arms and ammo makers get on board. I think thats what it will take for it to stay in the long run.
I have a Cooper Tact 20 that I've had for two years and just love it. I think when the 204 comes out I'll get in line for one of them too. Can't wait for Hornady's 40 gr V-maxs. I'm for anything that promotes the small calibers.
I like to shoot them all but the small calibers are just plain fun.
REM

Posts: 6 | Location: N.W.Mo | Registered: 08 February 2003Reply With Quote