New
Find
Notify
Tools

.20 Tactical???
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Is the .20 Tactical nothing more than a .223 necked down???

If that's the case, then it should be fairly easy to handload???

Any personal experiences???

Thanks!

MIBIGHNTR

Posts: 217 | Location: Michigan | Registered: 15 August 2002Reply With Quote
<Tony Rumore>
posted
I have an AR-15 chambered in Tactical Twenty and it shoots very well. I have only had it to the range once, but it put 5 rounds into .3" at 100 yards and the wind was blowing a bit.

The 20Tact has a 30 degree shoulder whereas the 223 uses a 23 degree shoulder. If you just run .223 cases into a 20tact size die, some of the cases will have very slightly wrinkled shoulders. Redding has a form die that eliminates this problem. Bullet selection these days is very good. I have bullets from Hornady, Berger, Schroeder, Certech, Badger Ridge, Lucas, and Unmmussig.

Tony Rumore
Tromix Corp
www.tromix.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
From what I hear if you have a 223 die and the tack 20 just start with running the new cases in the 223 FL die with the expander out of it and then in the tack 20. This will size the necks down to 21 cal or so and will help some when you run them in the 20 cal die.

Posts: 201 | Location: Loomis, Ca | Registered: 26 September 2002Reply With Quote
<tsmysak>
posted
I am sold on the Tact 20. I do not have another rifle that will shoot under .3" consistently at 4100 fps with acceptable pressures pushing a 33 grn bullet.

Everything I have shot in it shoots well and it has the potential for long distance accuracy.

one of us
posted Hide Post
WHAT DO YA THINK OF THAT SIAMESE MORPHADITE ON THE TROMIX SITE???

THE 2ND AMENDMENT PROTECTS US ALL.............

<Tony Rumore>
posted
I am working on getting an MPEG of the Siamese Sixteen in live fire. Streams of brass pile out both sides of the weapon.

one of us
posted Hide Post
SEEMS TO ME THAT A SIDE BY SIDE SETUP OF SORT WOULD BE BETTER............
BUT I'M NOT A GUN DESIGNER................

THE 2ND AMENDMENT PROTECTS US ALL...........

posted Hide Post
Tony Rumore:

Who did your AR in Tact-20? (Sorry - just looked at the Tromix web-site after posting this - but still curious about what's involved - Thanks).

Since it's based off the .223 case, did it just involve a new barrel with the proper chamber and spacing?

Just curious - looking for a new varmint fun toy and always wanted an AR. .223 would be fine, but I kind of like the Tact-20.

Thanks

[ 03-18-2003, 21:52: Message edited by: wrestle1 ]

Posts: 4 | Location: Central Illinois | Registered: 24 October 2002Reply With Quote
<Tony Rumore>
posted
All you need to build an AR in Tact 20 is a barrel. Everything else is the same with the .223 guns. I just got an e-mail from a gun writer that is testing one of my Tact 20's and he shot a .158" group at 100 yards with it. I have never been able to shoot anything under about .250" myself, but maybe that's because I drink too much beer. ;-)