New
Find
Notify
Tools

6.5-06 load data?
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Looking for some decent loads and data to compare against a wild cat I am working with.

Also would like any feedback on this cartridge as well.

Thanks...

Posts: 297 | Location: Stevensville MT. | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The Nosler reloading manual has a listing for that caliber, and the AR reloading page has one for the 6.5-06 improved, you should be able to get some data for comparison purposes there. Good luck.

Posts: 140 | Location: Irmo, SC | Registered: 16 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nosler stuff looks ok, Speer is a little wanting...

Posts: 297 | Location: Stevensville MT. | Registered: 21 May 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I built one last year - and to be truthful Im a little disappointed in performance. However, the 6.5/284 data seems close and I will persevere with the damn thing 'cos it cost me money! and I hate to be a quitter.

Best results so far have been with Vihtavouri N560, but Im going to work up some loads with N165 next week, using 139g A -max.

I have also tried cases made from .270, but 25/06 or 30/06 cases have given the best results so far - the 30-06 were PMC and the 25/06 Winchester. .270 cases were Remington.

One unhappynes was selecting a 1-8 twist rate - probably too quick! Bloody Speer 140 grain bullets were blowing up 15 feet from the muzzle! Dont bother over 2900fps - and they probably wont kill well either - far too soft. Stick with Hornady and, if you can get them Lapua.

Whats the wildcat you are building?

Posts: 22 | Location: New Zealand | Registered: 20 July 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I wish there was an affordable 1-10 twist out there.

Or am I thinking incorrectly?

Wouldn�t the 1-10 twist be better for lighter bullets?

one of us
posted Hide Post
Derrick--I am currious why were you disappointed in the performance?

Thanks for your time

"GET TO THE HILL"

Dogz

Posts: 879 | Location: Bozeman,Montana USA | Registered: 31 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a worn out 6.5-06 built on a mauser action. Loaned it to a friend a few years back to deer hunt with. Gave him 100 rounds to practice/hunt with loaded with 140g hornady at 2950fps. He to was disapointed but for different reasons. He and his uncle took it out to shoot gallon milk jugs. They set them at 300, 400 and 500 yards. He shot all of his targets in the first three rounds. He said he just held over the top at 500. With the forth round, he took his deer on opening morning with a classic broad-side, behind the shoulder shot at 'about 250 yards'. It dropped in it's tracks and was dressed and cooling by 8:30am. He returned the rifle to me with 96 still loaded rounds and commented that the rifle didn't leave much of a challenge for him. ;^) His uncle is still trying to buy that worn out rifle from me.

one of us
posted Hide Post
My 6.5-06AI likes IMR or AA 4350 in 53 grains behind any 120 bullet. That is above max for the 6.5-06 standard in the Sierra manual, but is about 3000fps in my AI. The accuracy is superb, read 1/2", and no recoil. The rifle is a Douglas 1:9 twist, 24" long #3 taper on a Winchester Classic action. This rifle shoots better closer to max. I know this is not as much as I could stuff in the AI, but I have a 264 Win Mag for that.

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by cgdavid:
I have a worn out 6.5-06 built on a mauser action. Loaned it to a friend a few years back to deer hunt with. Gave him 100 rounds to practice/hunt with loaded with 140g hornady at 2950fps. He to was disapointed but for different reasons. He and his uncle took it out to shoot gallon milk jugs. They set them at 300, 400 and 500 yards. He shot all of his targets in the first three rounds. He said he just held over the top at 500. With the forth round, he took his deer on opening morning with a classic broad-side, behind the shoulder shot at 'about 250 yards'. It dropped in it's tracks and was dressed and cooling by 8:30am. He returned the rifle to me with 96 still loaded rounds and commented that the rifle didn't leave much of a challenge for him. ;^) His uncle is still trying to buy that worn out rifle from me.

Doesn't sound wornout!

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote
<1GEEJAY>
posted
Hey'
MY 6.5-06 AI,likes 60.5 Grains 7828,Fed 210 Primer and Nosler 120 Ballistic Tip.Took two deer with it ,so far this year.
1geejay
www.shooting-hunting.com

one of us
posted Hide Post
I am considering converting my 30-06 to 6.5-06. Can someone give me a basic run down of the cartridge; what the max velocity I can achieve with 120 and 140 gr bullets? Are reloading dies available? What kind of barrel life can I expect?

Posts: 130 | Location: Montana | Registered: 08 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know about the 120-125 gr bullets, but I get 2900 fps with the 140 gr Sierra in my 6.5-06. It really is an easy caliber to shoot. - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote