New
Find
Notify
Tools

Need accurate .17 Rem. load
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've got a heavy bbl. Sako .17 Rem. and also got 1500+ Rem. 25 (?) grain H.P. bullets in the deal and want to use them before trying a different bullet. I've tried Blc2 and accuracy is just under an inch, but I suspect there's more accuracy available with the right powder. Would you share some of your pet, accurate loads please?

Posts: 101 | Location: Reedley California | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like a nice Rifle you picked up there, mine is a CZ 527 Varmint in 17 Rem. My pet load and it is MAX load in my rifle please do not start out with this load start out about 4 grains lower and work up, is a 25g Berger bullet sitting on top of 24.5g's of Varget, this produces on average .5 moa out to 300 yards in my rifle. It has shot on perfect days down to .3 at 100 yards, these are 5 shot groups. I like the bergers because of their accuracy and there performance on coyotes they seem to be a little tougher than the vmaxes and such so I've had no surface blowups or bullet failures even at extended ranges for this caliber IMO 250 yards or odd angle shots being "quartering or texas heart shots" all have killed cleanly with one shot. Good luck with a great caliber!

Posts: 439 | Location: USA | Registered: 01 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike in Reedley: I have two Varminters in caliber 17 Remington.
I use Remington Nickel plated 17 Remington brass in both of my Rifles.
I also use the Remington 7 1/2 primers in both Rifles.
I use the Berger 25 gr. MEF bullets in both my Rifles but the powders and charges are different.
I use 22.0 grs of H 4895 in one Rifle (26" barrel).
In the other Rifle I use 24.0 grs. of IMR 4320 (24" barrel).
Accuracy abounds with both these loads in my Rifles!
Good luck with your new 17 Remington!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Mike in Reedley

Two of my best .17 Remington loads are:

25 Gr. Berger over 23.5 Gr. of IMR4320 GM205M
30 Gr. Berger over 22.o Gr. of Varget GM205M

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
most important according to mike walker when he brought it out was to use rem. 7 1/2 primer, he said that every other primer they tried didn't give near the accuracy that they got with the 7 1/2 primer. rem bullets gave me better accuracy than hornadys

Posts: 13462 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks to all. I've been using 7 1/2 match primers and my bullets are Hornadys, not Remingtons. I think I'll try Varget and go from there. Thanks again.

Posts: 101 | Location: Reedley California | Registered: 31 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Mike,
Try RL-7, start at 16-17gr. Mine likes 18gr. shoots in the 4's and chronographs 3,753. I went up to 4,025 but accuracy suffered and cases grew .001-.002 each firing. Remington cases, 7 1/2 primers and Hornady 25gr. bullets. Small increases in powder makes large increases in pressure. Go up in 2-3 10th increments.And keep the barrel clean.
Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote