THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Decided on the Antelope take alongs

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Decided on the Antelope take alongs
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I've opted for the 6.5 x 55 as my first choice this year. I've got it shooting Nosler 120 grain BT's and Nosler 125 Partitions decently and will probably go with the BT's.

Backup rifle is the Featherweight 25-06. I've got it shooting 100 grain Sierra SPT's under an inch at 100 yards and would be willing to try these on an antelope.

Was seriously leaning toward the 257 Roberts, but since I've done that already I've opted to leave it at home. Of course, with two months to go there is still time to change my mind.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Hey, Reloader2, nice choice in cal. I have two 6.5X55's and I think it's a great round. But I seem to always fall back on my 243 WIN. for Antelope, I guess, because I have been useing it so long. Good luck, I don't get to go this year. Brat.

6.5 SWEDE

Posts: 185 | Location: MICHIGAN | Registered: 21 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of DesertRam
posted Hide Post
That'll work. I'm trying real hard to round up a .25-06 barrel for my Encore for deer and antelope hunting this fall. If that falls through, I'll use the trusty 6.5X55 that served so well last year.

Posts: 3301 | Location: Southern NM USA | Registered: 01 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
When did winchester make a featherweight in 25-06? Last year after the factory closed I bought a model 70 sporter 25-06. 25-06 wasn't available in a featherweight.

Posts: 80 | Location: Cody, Wyoming | Registered: 04 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
I would shot an antelope with anyone of those caliber’s if I know how it shot. Just shoot the damn antelope and kill it.

It doesn’t take much to wound one, a 243 Win all the way up to a 458 Win can wound one.

It doesn’t make a deference which caliber you take with you, just make sure you can shoot it.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
Most people have no clue about how hard it can be to kill antelope.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Shoot each of your rifles off a bench rest and take the one that shoots the smallest group at 350 Yds. Each of your rifles have plenty of energy to put down a prong horn at 400 Yds. Good luck on you hunt.

tuck2

Posts: 193 | Location: Nebr Panhandle | Registered: 13 March 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I don't know what year this 25-06 was made. I bought it from my brother. Sold 5 baseball cards that I bought for a penny a piece when I was a kid and came up with enough money to purchase the rifle and 2-7 Leupold scope. Figure I got it for a nickel.
First year I had it, I dropped it and broke the stock so now it wears a cheap Ramline stock, but shoots the same as it did before. Has a hollow ringing sound when you bump the stock on something though.

one of us
Picture of hivelosity
posted Hide Post
I have a pair of 25/06's and that would be my choice. I like bigger scopes though 5x20 or an 8x32, and would have to try one of those long shots.
500+

Posts: 2134 | Location: Ohio | Registered: 26 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Snellstrom
posted Hide Post
Reloader,
I know a fix for that hollow sounding Ramline stock. I have a "Kimberized" M96 6.5 Swede that came to me with that stock and I pulled the recoil pad and filled the butt with that spray can expanding foam, when it is done expanding you just slice off the excess and re-install the pad, I also did the same to the voids in the fore end of the stock then put a little acra glass over it and it has changed the sound of that stock dramatically. Good lightwweight filler.

Posts: 5604 | Location: Eastern plains of Colorado | Registered: 31 October 2005Reply With Quote