New
Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Blaser R93 Bolt Failures
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
From the heresay that I have read it seems that some of the bolts have come back when an overload happens.

There is a small Sako action in the pistol case at New England Outfitters in CT that blew up from a load of pistol powder. The front ring let go and the barrel blew out of the ring. The shooter was not injured and the barrel was put on another action.

I have some mechanical ability, machining experiance and engineering training. To sum it up when I look at the Blaser 93 it gives me the creeps. The creeps come from specifics that I can see in the design.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I own a R-93 and so naturally I was extremely interested in the reports of problems. In everything I researched I was unable to come up with any reports of failure that couldn't possibly be attributed to an extreme overload caused by a bad handload. Some of the reports are poorly repeated hearsay.
That being said it does appear that the R-93 "blows up a little less gracefully" than say a Mauser 98. A 98 has a shroud to block blowback gasses, a safety lug to prevent a bolt from blowing rearward etc. Saeed did an barrel obstruction test with a deliberate underload and the R-93 didn't vent the gas as well as a standard bolt action.
But the R-93 has been an extremely popular rifle in Europe used with no problems by thousands of shooters. They are extremely accurate, take down and return to zero and are fast handling, the trigger is probably the crispest I have ever tried. 9,999 out of 10,000 shooters will never have a problem with them. If you are into firewalling your handloads and tend to pop primers now and then this may not be the rifle for you. If you use factory ammo and/or handload carefully and conservitively you may enjoy some of the outstanding features of the rifle.........DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have been informed on the European Hunting board that if the barrel on my 93 is plugged and I fire a round the bolt will come rearward off the receiver and go through my head. Does anyone know of this actually happening ??.......JJ

Posts: 593 | Location: Southern WV, USA | Registered: 03 August 2004Reply With Quote