New
Find
Notify
Tools

DON'T buy a Tikka!
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
A few of you may remember that a few MONTHS ago now I purchased a new Tikka Whitetail Deluxe. Didn't need the rifle at all, but they had decent reps, were great looking to my eyes, and had the awesome trigger, raised cheekpiece etc I was looking for--something a little showier but that should be a tackdriver hopefully too. I ordered it online sight unseen. When It showed up I was initially pleased because it had some decent wood, whereas I had seen an awful lot of the "Deluxes" that were as plain as fenceposts. My initial enthusiasm soon waned, however, when upon inspection I saw that the stock had a crack in it. I made arrangements to send it back to Beretta back in the end of January, and was told that I would be reimbursed my shipping costs under the circumstances (I never was). Yesterday, several MONTHS after paying for this damn thing, I got the rifle back. I wasn't surprised that the stock was more plain than the one I had sent back. I wasn't surprised that there was no enclosed check for the shipping expenses I had been told would be reimbursed. But I WAS genuinely shocked by the fact that cursory inspection showed FOUR cracks in this NEW stock, w/out even looking at it closely! UNBELIEVABLE!!!!! I don't know WHAT their problem is with stocks. I saw two at the last gunshow I was at and was tempted to buy one if I found a good one and just sell the other since I'd at least know they were free from defects, but BOTH of those had cracks in the stocks as well! When I pointed it out to the one gun store owners she was shocked (I had been telling her how I had already purchased one and found it cracked). The only person I know who owns one is my brother. The first one he ordered--you guessed it--came with a cracked stock. He at least got lucky and the second one was actually whole, and its a tackdriver. I talked to him last night and told him he better hang onto it and never let it go, as it may be a museum piece some day as the only defect free Tikka stock in the world.

So now I don't know WHAT to do. I can't sell it in the condition its in, so I suppose I will have to throw away more good money after bad sending it back in AGAIN, for for ANOTHER couple of months for them to get around to doing something, then hope and pray THIS one is actually defect free. The sad thing is, I've never been able to even SHOOT the damn gun yet--for all I know it'll be some all over the board 3" gun or something if it ever IS made right.

Its been months. I have a scope. I have Talley rings (which wil be utterly wasted money if I have to sell the gun). Sadly, all I DON'T have months after buying a Tikka is a rifle to put them on! We're going to start a pool now to bet on if I'll have it in time for hunting season NEXT year...

Posts: 217 | Location: upstate ny | Registered: 23 June 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
So are you telling us that they are not all they were cracked up to be?

Were it me I would try and talk them into sending me a free composite stock.....DJ

Posts: 3976 | Location: Oklahoma,USA | Registered: 27 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yup! I'd tell them "hey, I did it your way and it didn't work. Lets do it my way." They can ship you a new stock and enclose with it the return labels and docs for UPS (or whomever)so you can ship the old stock back.
Your other choice, assuming you used a credit card, it to beef to the card company. They are usually pretty good about getting stuff done.

Posts: 2037 | Location: frametown west virginia usa | Registered: 14 October 2001Reply With Quote