THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    257 roberts mountain rifle with 117 hornady round

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

257 roberts mountain rifle with 117 hornady round
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
range report on remington mtn rifle in 257.. tried 117 hornady round noses set .003" off lands shot 3 groups 1-.6", 1-1.75", & 1-3"..i think the round noses ogive is not as consistant as spitzers because some in the bad groups were hard closing..i have also shot sierra 120 hprs & 117 flat bases all shoot less than .75" with no problems closing..pointed bullets are .1" off the ogive who would have thunck my $425.00 stock rifle shoots nearly as well an my long actioned 257's that cost 5 times as much..

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have some 120gr HP Serria bullets loaded for my 257 WBY
and was wondering how they will shoot. Guess I will find out tommorrow when I go to the range. Sounds like you did good with them.

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
i use the 120 sierra and hornday hp's on my long action 257's and they are really accurate bullets but i have never killed anything with them..if you can find them the winchester 120 power points are very accurate, i have killed 3 deer with them and they are about as reliable as balistic tips..i probably am going to try sierra 117 gr flat bases on deer this year..i have killed many deer with 120 gr partations and they really work well.. i can not get speer grand slams to shoot in any of my rifles..

Posts: 1125 | Location: near atlanta,ga,usa | Registered: 26 September 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well I went to the range today and shot my 257 WBY mag with those 120gr HPs At 100 and 200yds they went right to where I aimed at. I have shoot those HP bullets before in larger caliber rifles and never had any problem it just that I read in a forum that the HP bullets in 257 WBY mag wouldn't
shoot streight. And thats why I was supprized when I read your post

Posts: 2209 | Location: Delaware | Registered: 20 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
My M98 in .257 Roberts shoot's the Win +p 117gr rn very well, usually .7 to 1" for 3 shot groups at 100yds. The best it does is about .5" with 87 gr Hornady's

Posts: 3097 | Location: Louisiana | Registered: 28 November 2001Reply With Quote