Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

22 K-Hornet
 Login/Join

posted
Does anybody have any favorite cast bullet loads for the K-Hornet? I'm going to try to work some up, using AA#9 (got a lot of it), and probably 4227. I'm shooting a 48gr swc gas-checked, and would like to get about 2300-2500 fps.....I've checked loading manuals, and not many have any loads for lead in the K.... Just curious if anyone has any "favorites"...

"I didn't know how many of them it was going to take to whip my ass..... but I knew how many they were going to use......" Ron White

Posts: 92 | Location: north side of DFW | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
get ready to clean a bunch of lead out of the barrel

Posts: 13446 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Yep, that speed will likely cause misery in your bore, but if your K is the 1:16 twist, then more nominal velocities may not stabilize the boolit.
The most likely challenge is "bore fit", where usually the cast boolit needs to be slightly oversize. I have had more lousy cast boolit accuracy due to using "bore size" bullets, than other factors.
I would advise using the lowest velocity that might achieve the desired accuracy, cuz speed does lend itself to leading them barrels!
Lyman manuals list cast bullet data for the Hornet, which should be close enough for working with your K.
Good luck!

Posts: 639 | Location: Central Texas | Registered: 28 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I've shot some of these at about 1800 fps with no problems... I'm casting straight Linotype, so hardness isn't an issue. It might be problematic if I go too high, but I was thinking that 2500 might be do-able.... I have the contender carbine, and I am pretty sure it's a 1-14 twist..... it shoots the Speer 50gr TNT very well....no stabilization issues at all.

"I didn't know how many of them it was going to take to whip my ass..... but I knew how many they were going to use......" Ron White

Posts: 92 | Location: north side of DFW | Registered: 06 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I would think that with a good rifle lube and the gas check that leading would be minimal.

That works for me in 30 caliber...are Hornets different?

sometimes naps just happen...

Posts: 128 | Location: North Carolina | Registered: 19 July 2002Reply With Quote