THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    257 weatherby, 100gr nosler partitions ?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

257 weatherby, 100gr nosler partitions ?
 Login/Join

<Bily Lovec>
posted
being the proud owner of a new custom 257 weatherby mag, I have some 100 grain nosler partitions loaded up to 3530 fps.
Never having shot such a small weapon for hunting, what can i expect out of this combo ? most of my hunting is no bigger then say 350 lbs exotics here in texas, anything bigger than that I will use my 300 weatherby... how will they work ?? is this too small/lightweight ?
i.e. 100grains ? should I move up to the 115 grain ?

<Eagle Eye>
posted
The Nosler Partition in 100 grain coupled with a hot .257 bore rifle is very lethal and kills with a vengence. Don't bother going heavier, the 100 grain partition is more than enough for just about anything you'd hunt. I believe the partition design makes it superior to cup-style bullets (ie conventional ones, like the Hornady Interlok) weighing 120 grains. The benefit of the lighter weight bullet is of course the velocity you get...it seems to turn it into a very wicked pill. You should note that Ed Weatherby's favorite caliber was the .257 Wby and he used it all over the world.

Here is an example of my experience with the 100 partition: I shot a mule buck at a measured 260 yards across a valley about five years ago and hit it straight on in the chest as it walked directly towards me. The Partition 100 left my 25-06 at a chronographed muzzle speed of 3400 fps and it exited just below his a-hole. He didn't even twitch...he was KIA before hitting the ground. All his innerds were mush (a rather messy gutting job ensued). I have also dropped whitetail bucks in their tracks with it, a few antelope at unmentionable distances and too many 'yotes to count. It works.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Eagle Eye,

Did you ever have the chance to use those 100g Partitions at close range on deer (say less than 50 yards)? What kind of results did you have? Did the bullet exit the deer?

Curious as I am considering a similar load but I am more likely to have a shot less than 30 yds. than a shot over 100 yds (for the first week of the season). Wondering how that will work out.

Thanks,

HogWild

Posts: 174 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I killed many of our large canadian bucks with the 257wby using 100gr partitions and ballistic points.I even killed a bull elk with the 100gr partition and the bullet did exit.The 257wby is a great deer cartridge and the 100gr partition works well with this cartridge.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot several whitetails with the 100 gr Nosler partition loaded to 3350 fps in my .257 A I and the combination kills em like a lightning bolt at short and long ranges.

Two years back I shot a 350 lb boar hog at 60 yards quartering toward me, it entered the front quarter of his shoulder and I found the bullet near his back ribs against the hide. It made a perfect mushroom with all petals intact. The bullet looked like an ad for Nosler. I display it in my shop.

Posts: 1546 | Location: North Texas | Registered: 11 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Eagle Eye>
posted
Hogwild....yes, I have put Partition 100's through deer at close range and they did exit (with rather dramatic effect).

one of us
posted Hide Post
Got my first field test results from my 25/06 AI
shooting 100gr. Nosler Partitions at around 3610fps. Yesterday evening I shot a particularly wide racked 7 point buck which I thought was a nine(no brow tines) at 270 yards. Bullet punched through the lungs leaving a 2x diameter exit hole-deer ran about 20 yards and keeled over dead.

Posts: 71 | Location: Ocean Isle Beach NC | Registered: 28 August 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of OldFart
posted Hide Post
I can't speak on the 100 Gr. Partitions, but I can tell you my experience. My 257 Wby favors heavier bullets, but it wouldn't shoot the 115 partitions worth beans. I settled on the speer 120 gr Grand Slam. I shot a spike Elk earlier this week, and the bullet split in two. It hit a rib on the way in, and the large chunk (about 60 gr.)deflected into the front shoulder. It did serious damage to the shoulder and the meat in its path.
I am looking for a 257 bullet that will stay together. I wish I could get a failsafe in that caliber. Any suggestions?

<phurley>
posted
I shoot a .257 Wby and have used the 100, 115, and 120 grain partition with great success. My rifle shoots the 115 and 120 grain equally well for pin point accuracy and the 100 close but not as well, still a one inch group. My 12 year old grandson has killed 8 whitetail deer with the 115 gr load, the largest a 180 pound Buck hit in the brisket, the bullet was recovered in the rear of a ham perfectly mushroomed and lodged in the hide. That load is cronys at 3487 fps. I also shoot the 100 grain Barnes XLC upwards of 3750 fps with good accuracy. I load H-1000 powder and RL-22, with fed 215M primers. [Wink] Good shooting.

<reload>
posted
I would stay with the 100 grain nosler partition it works well and stays together. For general shooting such as varmints then use a 100 sierra or what ever shoots good. Good Luck