New
Find
Notify
Tools

herters 243 bullets
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
I went to an estate sale and bought these in 70 and 100 gr ,who made herters bullets,the boxes looked really old.

Posts: 371 | Location: northcentral mt | Registered: 25 May 2010Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
are the boxes marked as to what country they are made in?

Posts: 908 | Location: Western Colorado | Registered: 21 June 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of .404
posted Hide Post
So years ago,I did the same thing,however I found them to be brittle, with age I guess.They broke-up in water jug pentration test...went back to my favorites..Horady's

I pray for mud on my boots the day I die...
Go see the nights of Africa.....

Posts: 208 | Location: back home in the Tarheel state | Registered: 16 July 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Those Herter Bullets will weigh over 200 grains by the time they get all the adjectives (Name) stamped on them. Herters Model Perfect Deluxe Presentation Grade Supreme Custom Waist Sonic Hudson Bay Special. That's the short version--the actual name will be longer.

Posts: 3811 | Location: san angelo tx | Registered: 18 November 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have several of the 70 grain bullets and they shoot well in 2 243,s I have tried them in.
They don't like coyotes though,they died when exposed to them.

Posts: 1371 | Location: Plains,TEXAS | Registered: 14 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of MickinColo
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by hvrhunter:
I went to an estate sale and bought these in 70 and 100 gr ,who made herters bullets,the boxes looked really old.
Herter’s stuff is pretty old and there is a reason why the original owner didn't shoot them up. They were not the best bullets available in the middle of the last century when most bullets sucked. They are relics, collector items, and more valuable as such.

Posts: 2650 | Location: Lakewood, CO | Registered: 15 February 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Assuming that the price was "right", I would have bought them, too.

As with any bullet, you won't know how they shoot until you try them. The Herter's bullets represented to be "spitzers" were more like semi-spitzers with a somewhat short ogive and slightly rounded nose. While that feature limits their B.C. a bit, it also makes them less sensitive to other factors and helps them with potential accuracy.

If you shoot a deer with the 100 grainers it will likely die. However, I would simply use them for more informal shooting and hunting like coyotes or other targets that don't require much in the way of bullet performance. As plainsman says, coyotes exposed to them tend to expire prematurely.

Also be aware that there's a bit of a collector's market for Herter's stuff. The bullets were often packaged in a plain dark red box with no logo, but if the Herter's logo is printed on the box then you might want to market them to interested parties.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote