THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    52 gr. HPBT vs 53 gr. HP in 223

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

52 gr. HPBT vs 53 gr. HP in 223
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted
I am looking for a good paper punching bullet to try in my 1-12" m700 LVSF. I've got the choices narrowed down to these two Sierra Matchkings.

Which one do you 223 shooters prefer? Their BC's are identical. Is it a toss up?? Same price per box here too.

Thanks in advance

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Tod, I just bought a 700 LVSF in 223. I have only shot the 53 Sierra Match, they are an excellent choice. I shoot 27 grs. of Varget or 27 grs. of W748 and both shoot excellent. I have had my rifle out 1 time and most loads shot under 3/4". I did get a 3 shot group to go .325". I really like the LVSF and hope it will continue to shoot well. I have not tried the 52 gr. boattails but I bet they will shoot super as well. Good luck and good shooting.

Posts: 411 | Location: Smack, in the middle of Oklahoma | Registered: 18 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shoot the 52gr in all my 224 rifles they shot great I perfer a boatail so I use the 52s never shot a 53. Out of my of my Savage tact they will shoot in .25 if I am doing my job I have shot several 1.5 inch groups at 300 yards with them.

Posts: 19617 | Location: wis | Registered: 21 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I couldn't get the Sierra MK 53 grainers to shoot in my Savage. It likes 45 or 60 grain bullets very much, doesn't seem to matter who makes them either. Never tried the 52s.

Posts: 101 | Location: Canada | Registered: 26 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Bobby Tomek
posted Hide Post
Both have the potential for excellent accuracy, but what works in my rifles will not necessarily be a reflection of what's best in yours. Every firearm is a rule unto itself...

Buy a box of each and experiment -- and enjoy the time at the range.

Posts: 9412 | Location: Shiner TX USA | Registered: 19 March 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Buy a box of each and experiment -- and enjoy the time at the range

Now THAT makes sense

Posts: 857 | Location: BC, Canada | Registered: 03 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have shot both. I can mix them together and my rifle does not know the difference. You also can't tell the difference on the target. I have wieghed them and out of all the boxed that I weighed (didn't matter wich 52 or 53) the average weight out of the box was 52.5. If your rifle likes one then it will like the other.

Ray

Posts: 187 | Location: USMC | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't know if this is actually true for all rifles but I've been told the 53gr. HP is the better bullet for 100yd. shooting, but you're better off with the 52gr HPBT bullet for 200yds and beyond. I guess the boattail design is a positive factor at the longer ranges. I have also found that to be true in my .224's. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of todbartell
posted Hide Post
I ordered a box of the 52 gr. HPBT's. These will be used for shooting out to 400-500 yards on paper and steel, so I hope they shoot.

one of us
Picture of covey16
posted Hide Post
Toddbartel
I fired many of both thru a 1-8 twist. Couldn't see much difference at the range I used them(100 yard reduced course). Both shot well.
Sierra 60 gr Varminter shot just as well and were 3 dollars a box cheaper.
You might try the 60's just for grins. They have grouped well under an inch for me at 100 yards and have better flight chatacteristics at longer ranges than either of the MatchKings.
Try both of the MatchKings in your rifle and see which it likes best, but try the 60's if you get bored.
good luck
Covey16

Posts: 4197 | Location: Sabine County,Texas | Registered: 10 February 2005Reply With Quote