Find
Notify
Tools

Which 17HMR
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of Laner
posted
Im not much on new gun prices. Which sounds like a better deal to you all? I can get a Marlin 917V for $180 plus tax or a Marlin 917VSF for $320. If I get the VSF I cant get the scope I want for a little bit. My wife is patient but she has her limits. I do have an old 3x9 Tasco I can hang on it but that would be like parking a Pinto in front of the White House. I'm torn. I know I'm on a budget but that VSF is B E A Utiful. Just looking for some different opinions. Thanks. BTW, VarmintGuy, this is all your fault. rotflmo Never really wanted one til I read a few of your posts. Big Grin Now I cant think about much else.

Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics; even if you win, you're still retarded.

Posts: 99 | Location: Hays, Kansas | Registered: 02 August 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
Thats a hard one Laner.I had the same delema and went with the VSF and put a cheep scope on it.Figure I could upgrade the scope easyer than the rifle.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I much prefer the looks of my CZ over any of the Marlin offerings. Each to his own.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
NOt owning a CZ, but owning both Marlins and also a HandiRifle and a Ruger Heavy Barreled 17 HMR....

The ones I own are nice rifles... I'd recommend the Ruger out of the 4 of them.. but it is also the most expensive....

But as Craigster indicated with his... I'd recommend a CZ in the $350.00 range about all the others.....

I'll keep the HandiRifle and the Ruger.. but I think I will sell off the Marlins and pick up a CZ to replace them...

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Maybe I got lucky, but I bought a Rem 597 Mag in .17 HMR and it feeds flawlessly and shoots under an 1" all day long. I love the ability to shoot multiple crows with the semi-auto.

I also have a Savage and a Marlin and they shoot good too, but I love the quick follow-up shots.

Dollar for dollar...can't beat teh Handi.

The year of the .30-06!!
100 years of mostly flawless performance on demand.....Celebrate...buy a new one!!

Posts: 858 | Location: MD Eastern Shore | Registered: 24 May 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Laner
posted Hide Post
Still waiting for VarmintGuy. He might be worn out from the 220 vs 204 threads yet. jumping

Arguing on the internet is like competing in the Special Olympics; even if you win, you're still retarded.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
A cooper classic would be my choice..

I choose to spend money once, and cry once. Been burned a couple of times, and now I dont care for that anymore. Buy quality!

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Dr. Lou
posted Hide Post
I really appreciate the quality and performance of my Volquartsen. Lou

NRA Life Benefactor Member

Posts: 3316 | Location: USA | Registered: 15 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Laner: I just had my wonderful Ruger 77/17 V/T in 17 HMR out yesterday for a long Varmint shooting session! It performed wonderfully and I killt several Ground Squirrels out near 200 yards with it (185+).
I love this Rifle!
I got mine for $404.00 a couple years back on a "dealer was mad at the ammo suppliers blowout" type situation!
If I recall the going price was $469.00 back then!
Unfortunately this wonderful Rifle and model is now like $540.00!
I can not heartily recommend it at that price!
Its a fine Rifle but I think I would look into the CZ Varmint model in 17 HMR for around $340.00!
I have several friends with these and they are VERY happy with them.
If you are asking for an accuracy comparison between all of the 17 HMR Rifles - well I have as yet to hear of an inaccurate 17 HMR Rifle!
My good friend Dan from Washington state is right now buying a CZ 17 HMR in Varmint model and will pick it up this weekend! He was impressed with my Ruger 77/17 V/T but thought he would save the $200.00 and go with the CZ.
I have seen them all shooting in the Varmint fields from the NEF to Marlins to savages to Remingtons, Coopers, CZ's, Winchesters and on and on. They are all amazingly performers and quite accurate!
Laner, I don't call it arguing I call it correcting misguided gun nuts!
And when I choose to engage in this endeavor (when I see a worthy cause!) on the internet I am pretty good at it!
Best of luck with whichever 17 HMR you choose!
Long live the 17 HMR!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Does anyone know if anyone makes magazines ( ala 10/22 style) for the Rugers in 17 HMR and and 22 Mag with a 25 round capacity?

My one dislike for my CZ 452 is that the magazine seems to be empty every two seconds....

I was considering a Ruger 77/22 VHZ, but they have priced them off the charts this year.........

Thanks for any replies..

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Hawaiian_Hunter
posted Hide Post
I know it's not everyone's cup of tea but this single shot 17HMR has nothing but glowing reviews from people who have bought one, very accurate, and what a bang for the buck. I have one in .357 mag and it goes wherever my truck or boat goes. http://www.budsgunshop.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPa...85/products_id/80085

ILLEGITIMUS NON CARBORUNDUM

Posts: 158 | Location: Moku Manu, Hawai'i | Registered: 23 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Laner
posted Hide Post
Thought this puppy was dead. I couldnt wait on VG any longer and picked up the 917V two days ago. I was set on the cheap marlin or the fluted marlin. What a beautiful gun. I just couldnt justify the expense for a rimfire. I tried very hard for a couple of weeks but couldnt get er done. I'm going out tomorrow to break it in.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Laner: I have now used several sets of the Millet all steel grooved receiver ring mounts on my and my friends Rifles!
They are sturdy and reliable and look very nice!
If you haven't got any rings as yet then I recommend these for your nifty new Rifle!
Best of luck accuracy wise with it!
Be sure and let us know how the trigger is and how it shoots!
Remember the 17 HMR can make use of lots of scope power! I just rescoped my Ruger 77 V/T in 17 HMR with a Weaver V-16 (4x16 variable with small target dot!). It sure performs well in the Varmint fields as well as at the range!
I am not going to be able to use it for night spotlight/calling for Fox Hunting though. The dot is just to fine and the crosshairs are VERY fine as well.
Again best of luck with the new Marlin!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote