New
Find
Notify
Tools

Wolf .223 primers
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Has anybody tried the wolf 223 primers in an AR or any other rifle. pros and cons, please. any info on them is welcome.

velocity is like a new car, always losing value.
BC is like diamonds, holding value forever.

Posts: 1650 | Location: , texas | Registered: 01 August 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have no experience with Wolf Primers. However, I read that David Tubb won the Camp Perry Matches this past year using Wolf Primers.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wolf Small Rifle Mag primers is what you want to use. Wolf SR primer cups are a bit soft for AR's.

They are very consistent from lot to lot. I stopped using CCI mil primers after I shot a few thousand rounds with Wolf.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
popcornThe Wolf SR Primers have done well in all the rifles I've used them in, save one.The Savage .223 ,12BV SS-s will puch holes in them frequently. This has not happened with any other primer and probably could be corrected by reshaping the end of the fireing pin and or weekening the bolt spring. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
As mentioned, the Magnum version works quite well in the AR15. I was skeptical at first, but fellow XC match shooter suggested I try them and no problem, plus they are available at a reasonable cost.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Wolf makes 3 SR primers, std., mag., and what they refer to as 223 primers. The "223 primers" are designed to be used in AR's, (harder cup), right? How do they work/are they suitable in non AR applications.

Posts: 8169 | Location: humboldt | Registered: 10 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of seafire2
posted Hide Post
Also read on 6BR site that David Tubb claims to use Wolf Primers exclusively for Match USE...

depressing that foreign stuff, much less Russian is being used in lieu of good old American stuff..

however they seem to be available... and in the current market.. beggars can't be choosy..

Posts: 9316 | Location: Between Confusion and Lunacy ( Portland OR & San Francisco CA) | Registered: 12 September 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have loaded a few hundred in an ar. They seem to do as well as anthing else. I ordered the AR primers, but got small magnum. Work fine.

Posts: 831 | Location: Virginia | Registered: 28 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by craigster:
Wolf makes 3 SR primers, std., mag., and what they refer to as 223 primers. The "223 primers" are designed to be used in AR's, (harder cup), right? How do they work/are they suitable in non AR applications?

Can anyone answer my question?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Use them in Rem. 700 bolt gun and they work fine. Rifle is 26" Krieger barrel, 1 in 8 twist for 69-80gr., RE15 powder, LC brass, bullets seated to 3-.005" from lands and grooves. I have a good quantity of non-Russian primers, but saving those and for the cost, thought I would use them and well pleased.

Posts: 1328 | Location: West Virginia | Registered: 19 January 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MFD:
Use them in Rem. 700 bolt gun and they work fine. Rifle is 26" Krieger barrel, 1 in 8 twist for 69-80gr., RE15 powder, LC brass, bullets seated to 3-.005" from lands and grooves. I have a good quantity of non-Russian primers, but saving those and for the cost, thought I would use them and well pleased.

Thanks!

One of Us
Picture of TEANCUM
posted Hide Post
Starting to see more and more of these on the shelves.

Posts: 1788 | Location: IDAHO | Registered: 12 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
And their cheaper!

Posts: 656 | Location: Nebraska | Registered: 06 January 2007Reply With Quote