New
Find
Notify
Tools

6mm-303 British
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Does anyone have any experiance with this round? I have a H&R Ultra Varmit I might have chambered for this round.

I miss hunting in B.C.

Posts: 84 | Location: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Awww Sir William

That is a little too exotic for a lot of guys on here....

But I think it is an excellent idea, to have something a little different than everyone else...

Let us know how it turns out...

Maybe check out a few guys on the OZ forum.. I am sure they have more experience "down under" with it.. than in the USA...

243 pretty much dominates that slot...

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Do a google search for 6mm Musgrave.

This round (same round, different nomenclature) is quite popular in RSA on rebarreled Lee Enfields as cheap springbuck rifles. PMP even loads factory ammo for it (100gr at 2750-2800fps) and you see them around quite often. It is capable of some impressive velocities but PMP keeps the pressures lower as most are built on SMLE's, so they are avoiding any saftey/ pressure issues. Somchem (www.somchem.co.za ) has load data I think with S365 which is a similar burn rate to H4350?

Other than RSA, yes, check Aussie sites, they seems to have quite a few rounds on the necked down .303 Brit.

I have heard good things about it except when built of stronger actions 9which is of course quite good) and loaded higher (3000fps with a 100gr) case head separation is apparently an issue?

Posts: 1274 | Location: Alberta (and RSA) | Registered: 16 October 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sir William I don't have the 6mm/303 but I do have a 25/303 epps improved. It is built on a SMLE # 1 Mk3 which is not the best choice but it works. I wish I had built it on a P-14 action.As long as I don't try to load things too hot case life is OK.

Posts: 2442 | Location: manitoba canada | Registered: 01 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the repley guys. I was talking to the the gun smith at Ellwood Epps in Ontario. Ellwood Epps did a improved 6mm-303. They told me they could rent a reamer and rechamber the rifle for me.I was also thinking the rifle is now chambered for 243 win will the 6mm-303 reamer clean this round out. I might have to e-mail the gun smith back.I will give the fellows down under a note to see what they have to say.
Cheers Bill

I miss hunting in B.C.

Posts: 84 | Location: Nova Scotia, Canada | Registered: 28 October 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Alberta Canuck
posted Hide Post
The 6mm/303 Epps Improved is a nice cartridge. I have one of the original chambering reamers for it. As someone else on here mentioned, I'd prefer it in a good strong action if I was going to build another. Something like a Siamese Mauser, or a Ruger No.1 spring to mind.....Maybe even a Winchester Model 54?

Never tried cleaning up a .243 chamber with it so don't know about that off the top of my head. A glance through Howell's & Donnely's books on case forming should give enough dimensions to clear that up.

My country gal's just a moonshiner's daughter, but I love her still.

Posts: 9685 | Location: Cave Creek 85331, USA | Registered: 17 August 2001Reply With Quote