THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Quality/accuracy of Weatheryby MarkV

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Quality/accuracy of Weatheryby MarkV
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I've been wanting to build a HB varmint rifle but so far have been unable to find a used Model 700 or Model 70 in short action for the project. The smith doing the job is most comfortable with these actions.

As a factory alternative, can anyone comment on the quality and accuracy of the Weatherby MarkV, specifically the svm, spm, svr. I'm most interested in 22-250, 220 swift, and 243. The price is the same ballpark as the custom project. Is it worth it for the sake of trying to find an action and then waiting on the projects completion. My goal is 1/2 moa or better rifle. No doubt someone will suggest a Savage! All comments welcome and thanks in advance.

Ian

Posts: 39 | Location: Watson Lake, Yukon Territory | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
After owning two weatherby mark fives and five custom rifles built on 700 actions there is no comparison.One mark five averaged around an inch(257wby) with handloads and the other one about 1-1/4inch(300wby).On the other hand my worst custom averaged around 3/4 inch(338x8mmremmag) while the others all average about 1/2 inch(2-7mmstw,2-300ultramag).All groups are three shot groups fired at 100 yards.The weatherbies did better than the 1-1/2 inch guarantee but were certainly not in the same accuracy class as my customs.If you really want 1/2 inch accuracy you would be far better off to go with a custom.

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ian,
The only rifles that I can think of that you can buy of the shelf that will shoot around 1/2 inch average are probably the Cooper arms rifles www.cooperfirearms.com and the Remington 40 XB and The Ultra light arms varmint rifle www.newultralight.com.
The Cooper being the most cost affective option.

I am sure you may find a Weatherby Heavy Barrel that will shoot like you want but it may not be the first or second rifle you buy.
I have had 19 Weatherby Mark Vs and I really like them But this sort of accuracy is not a simple achievement and I think a Trued Remington,with a match grade barrel,jewel trigger, stock upgrade is your better option.

Good luck,
Charlie.

Posts: 87 | Location: Australia | Registered: 24 August 2002Reply With Quote
<QUARTERBORE>
posted
Have to agree with stubblejumper on this one. I have a MK.5 in 257 webby that will shoot in the .3s all day with hand loads but it is the exception not the rule. My Cooper on the other hand will shoot most factory loads at .6 and will make one ragged hole with handloads. Either way you get a great rifle.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks guys,

The MRC short action looks interesting too but I doubt they will be available to Canadians. I sent them an email to confirm.

Otherwise like you said I'll likely be better off to buy a new Remington or Winchester and strip it.

Ian

Posts: 39 | Location: Watson Lake, Yukon Territory | Registered: 24 December 2002Reply With Quote
<bullseye>
posted
I own a 300 Weatherby Mark V Accumark and it shoots thumb tack holes all day. Its remarkable how its stacks bullets and a magnum on top of it.

one of us
posted Hide Post
Being a magnum does not make a rifle less accurate.The quality of the barrel,bedding,action and machining along with proper load development are the biggest contributors to accuracy reguardless of the chambering.As far as the weatherby rifles some are very accurate while others are not.If they were all 1/2" guns weatherby would offer a better accuracy guarantee than 1-1/2".Many custom builders offer much better guarantees with some guaranteeing 1/2".

Posts: 3104 | Location: alberta,canada | Registered: 28 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by ian:
I've been wanting to build a HB varmint rifle but so far have been unable to find a used Model 700 or Model 70 in short action for the project. The smith doing the job is most comfortable with these actions.

Hey Ian, If the Gun Smith "is most comfortable" with the M700 and M70, for darn sure don't give him something else. You obviously want the best opportunity for a highly accurate rifle, so use whatever he says he can make shoot the best. Or, go to a different Gun Smith.

For what it is worth, I've shot and seen shot about two dozen of the M700 "V" Series Bull Barrel rifles in various calibers. All were exceptionally accurate with nothing more than a Tuned Trigger and a Developed Load.

That doesn't mean other rifles aren't as accurate, it is simply saying these stand out in my mind.

As a side note, all those M700Vs I've seen came with SAAMI "Minimum" chambers direct from the factory. Obviously that helped considerably with their accuracy potential.

So, you might find one of these that would "not require" a trip to the Gun Smith to make you happy.

Posts: 9920 | Location: Carolinas, USA | Registered: 22 April 2001Reply With Quote