THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Barnes 22 cal 50 XLC on game?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Barnes 22 cal 50 XLC on game?
 Login/Join

Picture of Paul H
posted
Being an unrepenent gun nut, I'm always thinking of new calibers and guns to build. I'm planning on building some .308 win's for the kids, but then got to thinking of starting them off with a 6.5 BR, 120 gr @ 2700 seems like it would be mild on the shoulder, yet effective on game.

Anyhow, I was also thinking about MRC's mini action they are working on, and how it would make a neat light rifle, and also thinking about making one up in a 22 BR, as I already have a reamer. I don't have much use for varmint guns, but a featherweight blacktail and bou gun is kinda interesting, especially with laser flat trajectory. Looking at 22 BR data, the 50 X ought to be leaving at 3600-3700 fps depending on tube length. Just wondering how many folks have used that little pill on game, and what the consensus is?

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote
<Big Stick>
posted
I prefer the 53gr XLC,as do most my pards. It is sinister and penetrates in a manner you'd have to see,to believe. She'll also break skeletal structure.

BUT,if you are not operating at hyper-velocity,the 64gr bulk W/W PP is a most excellent choice. I generally lean on light for diameter projectiles and as you know the X is my absolute favorite,but I can do the 64's in .224",as I'm not looking beyond 200yds very often in situations I tote a rifle so chambered. That projectile is perfect in the 223/223AI,as it will harness those impact velocities capably.

The BR couldn't fail the 64gr PP in my opinion,as it hasn't the capacity to reach the speeds required. It is a most robust projectile,at a most attractive price.

My oldest is 10yrs old and has launched six of those 64's out of his Model Seven at Bucks and has six skull caps to his credit. Have yet to recover a 'shroom and I've killed many Bucks myself with a like combo and look forward to doing it again.

I've related before,that I favor a short/light 223/223AI for Calling Bucks and the 64gr is seemingly geared to the task.

Off tangent,but food for thought...............

one of us
posted Hide Post
Paul-H,

I have shot Barnes bullets all my life and prefer them 10 to 1 over anything else. 3 years ago I went on a rampage with my .22 Hornet shooting a 50grn XLC, because someone said that it was to light for big game. Well, that little gun and I killed 5 big game animals in less than 60 days. The first was a fallow buck, witch is pictured in the Barnes Manual 2nd printing on page 554, he was shot with a 45grn X-bullet that penetrated 27".The fallow went 16 yards and piled up. The 2nd animal was a Mulie buck {3x3} 20"outside spred. He was shot with a 50grn XLC and the bullet went through both lungs and exited. He went 30 yards and piled up. The 3rd was a 5x6 bull elk, that I shot in the back of the neck. He traveled 3 feet,down. The 4th was a white tail doe shot at 200 yards. She went 61 yards and crashed. The last was a white tail Buck [4 point] shot at 232 yards that went straight down and never flinched.
I'm not blowin my own horn, I'm just letting you know that if I can do it with a .22 hornet, You can certanly be effective with the 22 PPC and a 50grn XLC.
Hell, this year I'm going to shoot big game with my 20t-n-t and Lucas 45grn bullets. Good luck and good huntin.

Slydog

Posts: 38 | Location: southwest Idaho | Registered: 10 February 2003Reply With Quote
Picture of Paul H
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the replies.

Now I'm thinking of starting the kids on the 22BR, then re-barreling to .308 win in the future.

Can't wait til MRC comes out with the mini action, I'm thinking one in .223, and another in 22BR would be the berries [Big Grin]

Posts: 7213 | Location: Alaska | Registered: 27 February 2001Reply With Quote