New
Find
Notify
Tools

788 in a 6mm
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Any of you fellow ever shoot a 788 in 6mm? There is a fellow near me wants to sell me his for $360.00 with a scope on top. Says he has not fired it in years.
Thanks FS

Posts: 698 | Location: Edmonton Alberta | Registered: 18 January 2005Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have been shooting a 6mm 788 since 1976 and I think for that price it is a very good buy. Even if the scope is a throw away as long as the rifle is decent it is a very good buy.

Good Shooting
George

One of Us
Picture of CoyoteKiller82
posted Hide Post
if you don't buy it, send me a PM and I will! All joking aside...buy that rifle!!! You won't regret it

Posts: 504 | Location: Manitoba, Canada | Registered: 03 December 2007Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
When that model was a common one, it was virtually always touted as being the most accurate factory rifle the individual speaking on it had ever shot. The 788 have a positive reputation, based predominately upon their reported fast lock time.

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yeah, jump on it before some one else who is knowledgeable does...

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of GoWyo
posted Hide Post
Howdy,

I have one. Hopefully it comes with an extra mag or two. If not, don't buy a $100 dollar orginal. There are after market mags out there now.

Very accurate, my rifle was a loaner for my niece and she killed two cow elk with it. 100 gr. Speer Grand-slams. I've read that you may not get a lot of loads on your brass as the rear locking lugs allow more bolt stretch and thus more brass flow than a normal front locking bolt. Watch for incipient case head separations after 3-4 loads. I'm not there on my supply of brass yet, so I can't attest to that claim. Mike Bryant will do the trigger adjustment conversion if you need that done, or there are instructions on the 'net. My advice, Buy it.

Damn right its loaded, it makes a lousy club. -JW

Posts: 400 | Location: Central Highlands of Wyoming | Registered: 02 January 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Make sure it has a magazine and then buy it.

Aim for the exit hole

Posts: 4348 | Location: middle tenn | Registered: 09 December 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm not a Remmington fan, but I had no complaints with the 788 in .243 that I had. I would buy that rifle without wasting any time. The last one I saw was $550.

I would recommend you inspect the ejector, or try to eject a round out of it if possible. I had to rack mine pretty good sometimes to get the fired shell to clear the action. At the listed price though, its worth that gamble and wouldn't be a problem to fix.

Posts: 218 | Location: KC MO | Registered: 07 April 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I bought my M788 in 6mm Remington in 1972 for $110 with a 4X Universal brand scope - it was a Remington 'package gun'. With my handloads - using a Lee Loader - it was pretty easy to get 3-shot groups well under an inch. This is the "long action" M788 so if you decide to re-stock you'll need to know that.

Unfortunately I washed out the throat in one afternoon (105*F!) with three boxes of shells, firing too fast without letting the gun cool. After that, looking into the throat was like looking at a dry cracked riverbed. It ended up re-barreled as a great little 6mm BR carbine!

Posts: 677 | Location: Arizona USA | Registered: 22 January 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Fasteel:
Any of you fellow ever shoot a 788 in 6mm? There is a fellow near me wants to sell me his for $360.00 with a scope on top. Says he has not fired it in years.
Thanks FS

buyitbuyitbuyitbuyit

price is right in an interesting caliberSmiler

The stocks are clubs. I own one in .308 that never shot well til I upgraded the scope, took me a while to admit to it.

I have another action that was trued, was originally a six.

The .308 is going to get a 4X or so straight tube scope on it and I'm gonna get piggy with it.

Posts: 3314 | Location: NYC | Registered: 18 April 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Snatch it - now!

I had 2 both L/H, accurate rifles.

All that's been said above is true. I dumped the hardwood stocks as they were a tad cluncky for my taste and put 'em in aftermarket stocks.

Cheers,

Number 10

Posts: 3433 | Location: Frankfurt, Germany | Registered: 23 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've got a 788 in .308 I picked up a couple years ago for $150 with a tasco 4X. It was someones truck gun and was dented and chewed up to beat hell. There was more then enough wood to slim it down, I added a ebony forend tip and grip cap, and did my first checkering job on it as practice. By golly, it's not a half bad rifle now!

One of Us
Picture of brytstar
posted Hide Post
Years ago I bought my two sons 788's, for the price they were the best buy around. Both EXTREMELY accurate. If you do not buy that gun give me an address and I will.

BTW, my boy's guns were in 308 Win, one a RH the other a LH.

In politics as in theology! "The heart of the wise inclines to the right, But the heart of the fool to the left." Ecclesiastes 10:2

Posts: 200 | Location: Western Maryland | Registered: 30 April 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
If the rifle is in good shape, both inside and outside, I think that $360 is a very fair price. At that price, if you buy it and don't like it, I'm sure that you'll be able to turn it over quickly and make a few $$ in the process. GPC has made a run of 788 6mm magazines, so it might be worth buying a couple of extras while they are available. The original Remington 788 6mm magazines often sell for nearly as much as the rifles cost when they were new.

I have owned a number of Remington 788s, I think chambered in everything except 7mm-08 and 44 Mag. All of them have been good shooting rifles and they are easy to rebarrel if the mood moves you. I currently have a good shooting 788 in 308 that is bedded in a McMillan green/white swirley Remington Classic stock. The McMillan stock is nice, but cost $100 more than I paid for the rifle itself.

Jeff

Posts: 993 | Location: Omaha, NE, USA | Registered: 11 May 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
I still have the left handed 788 in 308 that I bought brand new in 1975. With a sling, 3x9 Weaver scope, mounts and rings and a box of Winchester Super X 150 grain loads it was $154.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12577 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Greg,

That is a deal. I would take it if you don't. I have a 788 in 22-250 and while they aren't pretty at all, they shoot with one of the fastest lock times around.

If you are into 6mm, grab it.

Greg

Posts: 187 | Location: Alberta Canada | Registered: 07 February 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of mdvjrp93
posted Hide Post
I have one that will shoot nickle to dime size groups all day long. The secert is hand loading. I use H4350 41-43gr and sierra 100gr game king.

1 shot 1 thrill

Posts: 340 | Location: South Carolina | Registered: 14 December 2010Reply With Quote