Find
Notify
Tools

which is better
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted
The new Ruger Mini 14 platform in 6.8 SPC or an AR 15 platform in the same caliber for the same price as the Ruger,,,,,,And why ?????Which will function best @ 40 below ???

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I've always thought of the Mini-14 to be a fun plinker and useful for keeping coyotes and other pests off the farm. The AR-15 is a battle rifle. That being said, my old Mini-14 never gave me a lick of trouble, even at 40 below. It just wasn't a very accurate gun.

________

"...And on the 8th day, God created beer so those crazy Canadians wouldn't take over the world..."

Posts: 539 | Location: Winnipeg, MB. | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
The AR will run rings around a Mini.

More configurations, more available parts and you can build one in the garage in less than an hour.

The AR15. It's not just a battle rifle anymore.

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The new AR-15 and their variations will shoot with bench rest rifles these days, Many guarentee 1/2" at 100 yard groups and they will do just that...amazing accuracy for such ugly tinny rifles, it goes against my curmudgeon grain..it's all thats unholy and the creation of the devil!! pissers

Ray Atkinson
Atkinson Hunting Adventures
10 Ward Lane,
Filer, Idaho, 83328
208-731-4120

rayatkinsonhunting@gmail.com

Posts: 42167 | Location: Twin Falls, Idaho | Registered: 04 June 2000Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the ar for accuracy the mini 14 for reliability however if you rebarrel etc. the mini 14, it to becomes a pretty accurate platform (about 3/4 minute) but not to the point of an ar

Posts: 13461 | Location: faribault mn | Registered: 16 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ray, I agree but they do shoot well and are fun too.

NRA Life Endowment Member

Posts: 420 | Location: Troy, Michigan | Registered: 21 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
holycowA young fellow at the range yesterday was doing some really fine shooting with his AR 6.8. It was quite impressive. beerroger

Old age is a high price to pay for maturity!!! Some never pay and some pay and never reap the reward. Wisdom comes with age! Sometimes age comes alone..

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I own a mini-14. It is wonderfully reliable....
and can be made to be quite accurate.
I would buy the AR-15 for the ability to swap uppers and do a home caliber change.

Kind of depends what you really have in mind, and forsee for the future.

Cheers,

Dan

Posts: 430 | Location: Anchorage, AK | Registered: 02 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
gumboot

To keep an AR working at -40, spray the inside of the reciever, the bolt and the recoil spring with E&L gun lube.

E&L works on "regular"guns as well.
It does not wash off in rain.

Put a little Prolix on the bolt head and gas rings, which will dry leaving it lubed.

DOUBLE RIFLE SHOOTERS SOCIETY

Posts: 16134 | Location: Texas | Registered: 06 April 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of gumboot458
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the tip ... I have been scratching my head to figure out how to keep things operating in the cold .......I was thinking of rubbing moly powder on things ,, pretty messy way to go ,,,and it washes off easily ....

.If it can,t be grown , its gotta be mined ....

Posts: 3445 | Location: Copper River Valley , Prudhoe Bay , and other interesting locales | Registered: 19 November 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Zeke
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gumboot458:
Thanks for the tip ... I have been scratching my head to figure out how to keep things operating in the cold .......I was thinking of rubbing moly powder on things ,, pretty messy way to go ,,,and it washes off easily ....

I gotta ask.

Why do you need a gun that has to function in 40 below weather?

ZM

Posts: 655 | Location: Oregon Monsoon Central | Registered: 06 March 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of Kabluewy
posted Hide Post
A good excuse to rub that moly powder all over things. Gotta be. Wink

KB

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~-~

Posts: 12818 | Registered: 16 February 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
The key words here are same caliber and same price. I don't believe you can find a new AR in 6.8 of MOA quality for $600. If you are going to spend $600 on a new AR my guess would be that it's accuracy would be no better than the New Ruger Mini-6.8.

If you go with a Ruger remember they do NOT sell certain parts to Gunsmiths or to the general public. Important parts like "firing pins". A broken firing pin requires a trip back to Ruger. You can find after market pins and have them fitted, but trust me they are junk and do not hold up.

Another nice thing about Ruger is that if you have any modifications done to your rifle they will refuse to repair it. And they will not sell you the parts to repair it yourself. So, if you plan on installing a custom barrel or anything like that you are SOL as far as factory parts and service goes. Gotta Luv them Rugers!

Oh! I almost forgot. If you go with an AR, get the 6.5 Grendel instead of the 6.8. Better!

Posts: 1205 | Location: Minnesota | Registered: 07 February 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would agree that the AR platform is the way to go .
I like what I've read about the 6.5 Grendel as opposed to the 6.8 .

Problem in Kommyfornia is I can't have an AR platform any more .
So bolt gun is my only option at this time that I know of . I was shown a AR platform that complies with Kommyland , but the stock and non existent pistol grip didn't suit my liking .

This how ever is about YOU Get the 6.5 Grendel !.

Shoot Straight Know Your Target . ... salute

Posts: 1738 | Location: Southern Calif. | Registered: 08 April 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Sounds like it would be better to move.

Posts: 554 | Location: CT | Registered: 17 May 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
THe AR is a much better platform. You really can't compare the two. Plain jane AR 15 w/ the standard barrel and forearm isn't going to be a hole puncher either. However, the AR is easily upgraded and much much easior to work on. If you want a really accurate rifle get the AR w/ a free floated barrel.

Posts: 127 | Location: Central Mn | Registered: 12 January 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
From what I have seen, the new Mini's are still not as accurate as a good AR. I would never again buy a Ruger Mini-anything.

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of El Deguello
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by gumboot458:

When I lived in Fairbanks, I used to hunt with bolt and lever-action rifles. To keep them functioning down to -50, I removed any and all grease and oil from their moving parts, and replased it with painted-on Dri-Slide, an MOS2 lubricant on all moving/contacting surfaces. I beieve there are some "liquid" lubes available, such as Break-Free CLP, that remain usable to at meast -40......

The key to keeping a weapon operating at extremely low temperatures is the complete removal of anything that gets hard or freezes, grease, etc.

Here's what the RCMP found out in testing low-temp gun lubricants....

http://www.g96.com/TR-01-97.pdf

Just discovered that FP 10 works down to -75 degrees. I recall that it once was -73 in Fairbanks, but only once!!

"Bitte, trinks du nicht das Wasser. Dahin haben die Kuhen gesheissen."

Posts: 4386 | Location: New Woodstock, Madison County, Central NY | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of rnovi
posted Hide Post
I had a mini and while it was fun, it was never really what I called accurate. I could group maybe 3" at 100 yards with it.

I built an AR: Sun Devil lower, DPMS 20" heavy Bull barrel, "stock" trigger assembly (yea, the 6#+ trigger). I threw together some quick handloads (50gr. Varmint Express Mid-South Bulk bullet - aka, the 8 cent cheapie, 23.5 gr. H322, CCI SR Primer). Topped it with a Burris 1.75-5x22mm scope in a Wilson combat mount (Nice mount though!).

Bore sighted it, then put it on paper. I didn't bother to wait for the barrel to cool between shots. The first 6 shots were fired in around 30 seconds total.

Damned if it didn't throw those6 rounds into a sub 1/2" group.

I can't comment on temperatures, but I can comment that the AR is one superbly accurate rifle.

Regards,

Robert

H4350! It stays crunchy in milk longer!

Posts: 2319 | Location: Greater Nashville, TN | Registered: 23 June 2006Reply With Quote