THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    .257 Roberts in a Ruger m77 Hawkeye ?

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

.257 Roberts in a Ruger m77 Hawkeye ?
 Login/Join

posted
I'd like to know what you guys think.More interested in thoughts about the Hawkeye rather the caliber.I think highly of the Roberts, don't know much about the rifle in question.
Thanks for any info possible
steve

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Rugers are good rifles. Personally I would look at the Ultralight for the roberts, I think they chamber it in the ultralight....

Posts: 353 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 29 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have the MKII ultralight in 257 and absolutely love it. I can't give qualified comment on the Hawkeye though.

Posts: 78 | Location: Perkinston, MS | Registered: 13 February 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of sactoller
posted Hide Post
I have a Ruger HE in .257bob and really like it. They do have it in the ultralight, which would be nice, but the little extra weight has never been an issue with me.

I like the feel of the stock, to me, it just feels right, similar to my Husky .30-06. The trigger is good, I did need to clean up the trigger, to make it a little smoother.

It is extremely accurate, it shoots sub moa with the Hornady 117gr ammo. I have not yet worked up any loads.

It seemed to work just fine last year...

Jason Z Alberts

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude than the animated contest of freedom, go from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you." – Samuel Adams

Posts: 347 | Location: Weatherford, TX | Registered: 04 March 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
the hawkeye is the best rifle that ruger has made so far.
i didn't think it would be any better than the 77-II but it really is,nicer trigger, trimmer rifle.
remington is going to make their classic cdl in 257 this year.
for an actual hunting rifle id take the hawkeye.

Posts: 5001 | Location: soda springs,id | Registered: 02 April 2008Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Only Ruger Hawkeye I've ever had was back in the 60;s. It was a single shot flat breech, swing out action handgun built on the Blackhawk frame. It was chambered in .256 Mag and cost me about $90.00 new in the box as memory serves. Another stupid "I wish I had that one back" story.
Sorry, didn't mean to hijack your thread I was just unaware Ruger was making another Hawkeye. Brought back some fond old memories.
It seems unusual to me that a company would use the same name twice on two totally different firearms but they darn sure did Confused.

"If a man buys a rifle at a gun show and his wife doesn't know it"...Did he really buy a rifle?
Firearm Philosophy 101. montdoug

Posts: 1181 | Location: Bozeman Montana | Registered: 04 April 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Great rifle and great cartridge.

Posts: 2627 | Location: Where the pine trees touch the sky | Registered: 06 December 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I'm real happy with my Hawkeye bob. It's shooting just under moa with Hornady 100gr interlocks and no load development, I just threw some together.
The stock is a major improvement over the older models. The trigger broke cleanly out of the box but was a bit heavy at 5lbs, but I've since taken that down to 3 so I'll leave it there.

I've got a 338 Federal in the same rifle but stainless instead of the blue/walnut and it's a similar story with that one. It also needed a bit of trigger work and again, it's shooting around moa with both factory 200gr fusions and some handloads I threw together.

Posts: 351 | Location: Junee, NSW, Australia | Registered: 13 June 2008Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I would get the Ruger Hawkeye over the Rem CDL, not heard any complaints on the Hawkeye.

Posts: 353 | Location: Georgia USA | Registered: 29 November 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I am a big fan of the roberts,
I have 2 and an AI.
I have one of the ultra lights and it is fine but a little fussy.
Odds are you would be better served by the hawkey.
Its plenty trim enough , and the slightly extra heft will keep it from heating up so fast,
and likly to a little less fussy than the ultra light.
My only complaint is the long action it's built on.
But that is a minor problem.
If you don't mind spending a few extra bucks Kimber has a Bob on athe short action.
...tj3006

freedom1st

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Similar to what Sactoller said, I have a Ruger 77 Mk II in 257 and the little extra weight hasn't been an issue.
The neat part with this rifle is it shot great from the first group; 100 Nosler Partitions, 45.0 grains of H-4350 and Fed 210M's.
Also, one of the features of this rifle is it's on a long action, so bullet seating is a non-issue.
But, I have three other 257 rifles that are Remingtons, all short actions. One is a Rem 700 Mountain Rifle with a stock similar to the CDL, which I like a lot. For these short action rifles, I've concentrated on shooting bullets in the 85 to 90 grain weight, and all can deliver 3 shots sub MOA at 100 yards.
I could do a Ruger light weight 257 with ease as I think Rugers are FINE rifles.