Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

6X57 DATA
 Login/Join

posted
Need load data for this old timer,,just inherited a '93/24 small ring stalking rifle from my 2nd oldest/yougest bother that he got while in spain bombing the reds for Franco ( H.E. 111 ) in the thirtys,he shot a lot while there but didn't load for it and after the war went back to his 6.5x57,,so any data will be welcome.Do you think 257 ROBERTS data low end data could be used,,the gun was made in 1924 and is in perfect shape.I LOVE THE HISTORY OF THIS GUN,,made for a catholic bishop from AUSTRIA who went to spain to fight the reds,,he was killed by them and his rifle was taken and after a air raid that my brother flew,,a patrol went thru the place and found a red that a 100 kg. bomb had squashed and the name of the plane was on the bomb ( it hadn't gone off ),,so the feldweble brought the rifle to my brother as a trophy!!!!!!!!

Posts: 22 | Location: u.s.a. | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I think 6x57mm is probably the same brass as 6mm or .244 Remington; the problem is figuring out how much to back off the load for the strength of the receiver ( back off too much and you get into 'detonation' territory ).

Posts: 14624 | Location: Moreno Valley CA USA | Registered: 20 November 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
What you're looking at is what we call the 6mmRem. It, the .257Roberts and 7x57 were all made on the same case. Start a little bit low and work your way up to determine the strength of the action. Best wishes.

Cal - Montreal

Posts: 1866 | Location: Montreal, Canada | Registered: 01 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
6 REM is a hight pressur cartridge and old mauser are not design ( steel quality ) to hold this level of pressure so Caution and check first your headspace most of them have lugs set back by too hight pressure

good shooting

DAN TEC

Posts: 267 | Location: France | Registered: 27 July 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of TCLouis
posted Hide Post
Tell me what powder and bullet weight you are interested in using and I will look up data in my Hornady manual.

With that action I think I would stop mid-range in the loading data as it was developed in the Mauser 66 action. I shoot these and other loads in my Japanese Type 38s also.

One can start with 6.5X55 load data and work up carefully as far as that goes!

LouisB

All opinion and conjecture of course!

Posts: 4261 | Location: TN USA | Registered: 17 March 2002Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I was thinking about the 115 gr.Barnes original as the factory load was a 123 gr that went out of the 28" bbl. at 2600-2800 fps,,maybe 3031 or rl-15 for fuel,,I'll wait to see if I get any loads from the people here [Smile]

Posts: 22 | Location: u.s.a. | Registered: 27 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Strikes me as STARTING LOADS on the 6mm Rem/ 244 would be a safe place to start, and then just work up.

Older 257 Roberts load data, with the starting loads would also work fine, ( not the +p load data).

CZ/Brno Mausers made in the 1920s were strong enough to handle pressure of the modern 6mm Rem ( 65,000 PSI). Envious of having such a Historical Rifle to carry in the field.
[Razz] [Roll Eyes] [Cool]

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
<Rogue 6>
posted
The new Hornady manual and the old hodgdon have it listed.

one of us
posted Hide Post
In Frank C. Barnes' "Cartridges of the World," 8th Ed., there are three handloads listed for the 6.5x57mm Mauser (and 6.5x57R):

129 gr. SP IMR 4350 44.5 gr. 2800 FPS

140 gr. SP IMR 4350 43.5 gr. 2700 FPS

160 gr. SP IMR 4350 41.5 gr. 2500 FPS

The source for all these is listed as Hornady. I don't see the cartridge listed in my old Vol. II Hornady Handbook.

Posts: 424 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 28 September 2003Reply With Quote