Find
Notify
Tools

Re: Rem 700 in 260 AI (Pics)
 Login/Join

one of us
Picture of whiplash
posted
Hog Wild, nice rifle. I have been looking for info on the .260 Rem AI. Not having a lot of luck(although I just started looking). Could you give some info on that caliber? I was trying to decide on .260Rem or 6.5-284, and this .260Rem AI just might fill the difference. Iam looking for ANY info on this, load data, articles,anything...nice pic!

Posts: 158 | Location: Grand View, Idaho | Registered: 13 October 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Nice rifle! But GEZZZZZZZZ I hope you had some one sitting under the rifle out of the picture to catch it if it falls. My luck, something would have bumped that fence and it would have fell off. If you coyote hunt you should try some 90 gr. Speer TNT's in front some IMR 4064 or Varget. I am getting 3465 fps, and they are shooting sub .5" from my standard 260 Rem. They turn coyotes inside out. You should be in the upper 3500 pfs to maybe 3600 fps range. Enjoy your rifle.

May I be half the man my grandson thinks I am......RiverRat

Posts: 413 | Location: Owensville, Indiana USA | Registered: 04 July 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Hogwild,
I've been shooting essentialy the 260 imp for over 15 yrs, before the 260 was a factory round.
I found 50.5 grns of H 414 and a 100 grn bullet to give me 3420 fps in my 23" barrel. I usually use a 120 grn for deer and with Re 19 get an easy 3120 fps.

Posts: 941 | Location: VT | Registered: 17 May 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Whiplash,

Sorry so long responding. The July 2001 issue of The Varmint Hinter (issue #39) has an article on the 260 Ackley written by Steve Timm.

I tried H-4350 for the first time in my 260 AI in Oct. I haven't had time to fine tune this load. I seated 0.005" off the lands and went up in 1/2g increments and 50.0g shot in the .5s so I went with that for the fall season. My barrel is a 3 groove and is fussy about the powder charge (2/10g can make a big difference). I went up another 0.5g and the group opened some but no pressure signs.

I think 3,500 fps with an 85g Sierra HP and IMR 4064 is a definite possibility. However, I'm leaning toward using the Hornady 95g VMax. The plastic tip should make expansion more reliable at velocity extremes and the Sierra's have a very thick jacket. Varget will probably get the first nod followed by RL15 (both very temperature stable). Hoping I can push 3,400 with one of those combos.

I have had no problems with fireform loads. First try I used 49.0g of IMR-4350 behind a Sierra 100g HP and was rewarded with well defined cases, good groups, and 3,161 fps. I'll shoot the Sierras as my fireform load till I use the box up then I'll try to find an accurate fireform load with the 95g VMax. Fun to form a case and pop a crow at the same time!

I was torn about chambering an ackley cartridge. Those fears have been eased as my fireform loads aren't "wasted" but are useful varmint loads. I develop with once fired cases in standard calibers so whats the difference? I doubt I would chamber an Ackley version for the velocity gain.....it's probably around 50 fps over a standard 260 Rem....maybe a little more in some cases. However, the brass lasts a long time and so far I've not trimmed a case more than once.

When I get time I want to play with the 120g Barnes XLC, 129g Hornady (IB version???), and maybe a 110g GS HV (I've never tried moly).

HogWild

Posts: 174 | Location: Arkansas | Registered: 14 August 2002Reply With Quote