Find
Notify
Tools

INSIDE NECK LUBRICANT
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Folks,
What are you all using to lube the inside necks ?
I'm loading 22 K HORNET & would like to use MOTOR MICA or some other proven dry lubricant if I can't get any Motor Mica locally .
Thank you in advance for your time & help.
SOUP

One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soup:
Folks,
I'm loading 22 K HORNET & would like to use MOTOR MICA or some other proven dry lubricant if I can't get any Motor Mica locally .
SOUP

You might want to think about getting a Carbide Expander nipple. They run about $20.00, but you will not have to screw around with inside neck lubing. When I had a lot of rifles that was the first thing I did with every die set. I now only load .250 savage, but I have two sets of dies for it and both have the carbide nipple.
Jack

"La vida no vale nada sin El Honor"
Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

Posts: 214 | Location: Pickens, SC GOD's UpCountry | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't lube the necks but put moto mica in the bullet box and give it a good shake. Safest way I can think of lubing with getting moisture in a case.

Posts: 1159 | Location: Florida | Registered: 16 December 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of ACRecurve
posted Hide Post
these folks have mica..it's not local, but it's good stuff

www.ballisticproducts.com

Good hunting,

Andy

-----------------------------
Thomas Jefferson: “To compel a man to furnish funds for the propagation of ideas he disbelieves and abhors is sinful and tyrannical.”

Posts: 6711 | Location: Oklahoma, USA | Registered: 14 March 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by soup:
Folks,
SOUP

OK Soup,
I just so happen to have a message into RCBS about a .25 unit.
I don't know what kind of dies you are using, but they call their little bugger
"a Tapered Expander-Decapping unit and in .25 it cost $18.95 plus $4.00 shipping. Email them or give them a call. Really if you can do away with the neck lube you will be a happier camper on down the line.
The reason I am going to the tapered unit is that I plan to use .22-250 cases for my .250 Savage and will need to open up the necks and the tapered button is better than the elipical ones I have now.
I hope that this helps
Jack

Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

Posts: 214 | Location: Pickens, SC GOD's UpCountry | Registered: 07 March 2006Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I can reccomend against the lyman mica kit. It is just as hard to pull the expander through the neck as with an un-lubed case. I've moved on to Imperial Sizing Wax on a swab. Thats not perfect, yet. The sizing wax needs to be cleaned out or vibrator media or powder stick. I've been using brake cleaner on a swab to clean after sizing.

Neck lube is the most annoying part of reloading for me. I'll look into the carbide sizer buttons.

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by Dwight:
I don't lube the necks but put moto mica in the bullet box and give it a good shake. Safest way I can think of lubing with getting moisture in a case.

What does this do?

Jason

Posts: 582 | Location: Western PA, USA | Registered: 04 August 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I've used Mobil 1 for case lube for years and use it inside the neck(sparingly). It apparently doesn't contaminate powder, as I've used it for 15 years, at about 8000 rounds a year. It's also cheap compared to commercial case lube a quart lasts forever.

A shot not taken is always a miss

Posts: 2788 | Location: gallatin, mo usa | Registered: 10 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Since I already have the tin of Imperial Sizing Die wax open anyway, I take a Q-tip and take a very little smear and go around the inside of the neck. A little dab'll do ya. You don't have to do every one either. YMMV.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by stepchild 2:
Since I already have the tin of Imperial Sizing Die wax open anyway, I take a Q-tip and take a very little smear and go around the inside of the neck. A little dab'll do ya. You don't have to do every one either. YMMV.

Stepchild

So I am correct in assuming that you do not clean the heck after sizing?

Winggunner
SCV, MOS&B

One of Us
Picture of Rusty Marlin
posted Hide Post
I notice nobody mentioned Honady 1 Shot or the Lyman spray lube. I have been using this for 4-5 years now and LOVE IT! The outside of the cases and inside the necks get lubed in one easy spray pass.

Rusty's Action Works
Montross VA.
Action work for Cowboy Shooters &
Manufacturer of Stylized Rigby rifle sights. http://i61.photobucket.com/alb.../th_isofrontleft.jpg

Posts: 863 | Location: Northern Neck Va | Registered: 14 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by winggunner:
quote:
Originally posted by stepchild 2:

Stepchild

So I am correct in assuming that you do not clean the heck after sizing?

That's right, I size them and then load them. I've been doing it that way for years. As I said you use it very sparingly.

Stepchild

NRA Life Member

Posts: 1326 | Location: glennie, mi. USA | Registered: 14 July 2003Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I just squirt WD 40 on the expanding ball... since it is going inside each case neck....one thing to lube instead of 50....

I tumble my brass after I resize it which takes off the WD 40 from inside the neck....

I am sure this makes some people cringe... but it works for me...Hillbilly Mechanics I guess...

yeehaw....

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Soup: I also am an advocate of Imperial Sizing Wax.
I rub the end (mouth) of the case with an Imperial Wax covered finger tip and my sizing troubles have simply "evaporated" since I began doing this.
I have tried it all in the past, including carbide expander buttons and I have as yet to notice any detrimental effects of this Imperial regimen I have been using for 10 years now.
Best of luck with what ever method you choose!
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Seafire: We used to use WD-40 to "de-activate" primers, powder and on occassion ammunition before we buried it or threw it in the dumpster!
Be careful you get it all cleaned out of your cases.
Wishing you continued success with your neck lube regimen.
Hold into the wind
VarmintGuy

Posts: 3067 | Location: South West Montana | Registered: 20 August 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
I use this stuff.

MICA

It's on sale now. When I run out I use a little Imperial Sizing Wax just like VarmintGuy. The Imperial Sizing Wax is the best thing since peanut butter been using it since 1989 when I first started resizing wildcat cases.

Posts: 1679 | Location: Renton, WA. | Registered: 16 December 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
#9 birdshot mixed with moly d powder. Graphite or Motor Mica would work as well. I keep the shot in a little plastic box with a lid, and just shove the neck into the shot. Works for all calibers and cost me nothing.

It is a good citizen's duty to love the country and hate the gubmint.

Posts: 1570 | Location: Base of the Blue Ridge | Registered: 04 November 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Quarter Round
posted Hide Post
Soup, Looks as though you will get many opinions and all seem to work. This is my take on it.
  • Brush the inside of the neck with a clean unlubed bore brush.
  • Dip in the mica and birdshot mixture and then run the case over a bore swab.
  • Wipe the outside of the neck.
  • Neck size. I use a carbide floating expander button on the .25-06 neck sizer die.