New
Find
Notify
Tools

Prac App with the 6.5-06
 Login/Join

One of Us
posted
Just back from SoDak hunting out near Newell. My daughter filled our buck tag with a decent 8 point whitetail. I was looking for an opportunity to test the 130 grain Accubond at distance with no more dreams of big bucks I picked doe out one calm evening. It was what I figured was 40 yards past a round bail that was a lasered 437 yards. From a bipod on a very slight incline I put the 500 yard mark from the Leupold varmint reticle on the heart and squeezed. I watched her shudder and a second later heard the solid whumpich. She ran in a circle about 30 yards and died nearly right where she was hit. The entrance was about 4 inches over and 3 inches behind the heart and the passed through. Exit was about the size and shape of a kiwi with rose about the size of a softball. Absolutely perfect performance. Hang weight was around 120 pounds. I suspect a 120 grain B-Tip would have duplicated performance at that range.

Posts: 849 | Location: MN | Registered: 11 March 2009Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quintus...I have had similar results with the 130gr AB in my 6.5x55 at lesser distances...80-250yds... Worked great for me on both deer and antelope..

BTW...good shooting! beer

Z

Posts: 503 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Quintus, good shooting. Was that with your Re22 loading? I may have to try it. I have been shooting AA4350 in mine.

Larry

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Posts: 3942 | Location: Kansas USA | Registered: 04 February 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Yep, it's RL22. I am shooting 52 grains lit with a Federal 210m primer. It is pressure enough to give me a good seal in the chamber, but well below max. It is also easier on the primer pockets. That is my longest shot on game I meant to recover (not crows or p-dogs)and I'm sure with the same amount of practice any one of dozens of cartridges would have had the same result. That said I am still very impressed with the 6506.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
I have been using RL19 in my 6.5-06 with 120gr sierras...I guess now I have to try some RL22..and 130AB's.

Quintus do you have any idea what the velocity of your load is with those 130 AB's?

Z

Posts: 503 | Location: Arkansas Delta | Registered: 01 November 2004Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Good shooting!
I have used many different cartridges, but the 6.5-06 is still by far my favorite cartridge after having used it for 20+ years for everything from Hares to Moose.

Posts: 461 | Location: Norway | Registered: 11 November 2011Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Zeeriverat1 I have what seems a fast barrel that is crowned at 26" and I am getting a bit under 3100FPS. I am using W-W 25-06 cases. I do have some Nosler cases on order and will see how close they are in capacity, but have been very happy with the Winchesters. I like RL19 as well, but got better velocity and load density from 22. 7828 has actually been very consistent as well.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Quintus..thanks for the info... I am planning on building another 6.5-06 soon, and it will have a 26" tube...I will have to do some loads with RL22 for sure...

Z