Find
Notify
Tools

Why I want a 6.5 Grendel
 Login/Join

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted
Spent about a half an hour talking to Bill Alexander at the SHOT show this morning. It had been difficult to get near his booth previousily. This man knows his stuff. He is among the most through and thoughtful people I have had the pleasure of speaking with in quite a while. Bottom line is the quality and performance available in this package (the 6.5 Grendel) truly fills a ballistic nitch. That means space in the gun cabinet.
Wink

Must rest my legs now, think of the possibilities.
cheers

Member NRA, SCI- Life #358 28+ years now!
DRSS, double owner-shooter since 1983, O/U .30-06 Browning Continental set.

Posts: 3611 | Location: LV NV | Registered: 22 October 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ 527 in 7.62x39 and a Lothar Walther 6.5mm barrel stashed away for my Grendel project rifle. Just need some time to thread the barrel and fit it to the action.

John in Oregon

John in Oregon

Posts: 938 | Location: Oregon | Registered: 23 November 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Johnly, After talking with Bill Alexander I then spoke with 3 fine gentlemenat the Lothar Walther booth. "Woody" has the rifle you mention and the 6.5 Grendel on the CZ is an incredable performer from what he passed on. Way beyond the AR based rifles. Food for thought.

beer

one of us
Picture of ramrod340
posted Hide Post
quote:
6.5 Grendel
\\

I give what is a 6.5 Grendel?

As usual just my $.02
Paul K

Posts: 12881 | Location: Mexico, MO | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
<9.3x62>
posted
quote:

I give what is a 6.5 Grenel?

Essentially a 6.5 PPC that is specially adapted to the AR-15.

one of us
posted Hide Post
It is a PPC cartridge necked up to 6.5 mm with the shoulder moved forward .100".

I have a reamer and gauges in 6.5 "lawndart". That is simply a no-neck turn accuracy version of the Grendel.

Armalite will be making 6.5 Gremndel rifles later this year in both carbine and precision variations.

LD

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a CZ527 in 6.5 Grendel. It was done up by Brockman's Rifles and wears a Lothar Walther barrel.

Posts: 454 | Location: Califon, NJ USA | Registered: 18 January 2002Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
check out:

http://noveskerifleworks.com/

John Noveske, is a local guy who does a lot of custom work, and I highly recommend his products and work....

He can set you up with a 6.5 Grendel in the AR10 type configuration if a bolt action is not enough gun for ya....

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
You guys have got me thinking about a 6.5 Grendel or even Lawndarts 6.5 in a mini-14 so I can avoid the problems associated with black rifles here in Kalifornia.

It would be a good rifle for my boy! Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by BigNate:
You guys have got me thinking about a 6.5 Grendel or even Lawndarts 6.5 in a mini-14 so I can avoid the problems associated with black rifles here in Kalifornia.

It would be a good rifle for my boy! Nate

Nate,

I have had an interest in the 6.5 Grendel, but I haven't been able to see a need, beyond the military... when the 260 Rem exists....I am not an AR 15 kinda guy.....

But I think mentioning that round in a Ruger Mini 14.... I think you just helped me cross the bridge....

I have seen a Mini 14 converted to shoot the 6 BR cartridge and the 6.5 BR.... that was COOL!

Ya might have just made another convert!

cheers
seafire
cheers

Posts: 16144 | Location: Southern Oregon USA | Registered: 04 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
They make AR's in the WSSM calibers now, that's where I would put my money!

Posts: 1547 | Location: Lafayette, Louisiana | Registered: 18 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
Look here: http://www.6mmbr.com/gunweek027.html

Lapua is making the 6.5 Grendel brass.

And Lapua is making a 6,5x47 based on the 308 case. Should give 2800-2900 with a 130 grain bullet.

Posts: 615 | Location: a cold place | Registered: 22 June 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by MajorCaliber:
They make AR's in the WSSM calibers now, that's where I would put my money!

the Bushmaster AR-10 in 300WSM is the only good reason I've seen for the WSM cartridges.

Though frankly I'd rather have an AR-10 Bushmaster in either 260Rem or 7mm-08.

AllanD

If I provoke you into thinking then I've done my good deed for the day!
Those who manage to provoke themselves into other activities have only themselves to blame.

*We Band of 45-70er's*

35 year Life Member of the NRA

NRA Life Member since 1984

Posts: 4601 | Location: Pennsylvania | Registered: 21 March 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
I like the 260 and 7/08 having owned and used several, but the 6.5 G does pique my interest.

I have been undecided, prefer the BR case as I am not into AR's BUT the Grendel is ALMOST as much capacity as the BR, being that the shoulder is moved forward. Arne-advised me the difference was small, something like 1.5gr I believe.

Now in a bolt the 260 really has an edge, yet I DO like the idea of Lapua brass and LONG barrel life, as my 7BR has been nothing but fun in my model 7. Never get kicked too much and the barrel can take many rounds w/o heating up.

Posts: 2898 | Registered: 25 September 2005Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Damnit Seafire! Now what? I thought I had some pretty good ideas about youth size rifles but this has got to be causing smoke to roll outta my ears! Eeker

After reading through the link provided, (thanks Nortman) I am really intrigued to say the least. The ballistics table has me scratching my skull. I used to put quite a few rounds through an M14 and that little 6.5 basically equals the 147gr loading for the 7.62. How can it be?

Now I'm thinking I may try to find a shot out 6mm PPC to play with. My wife is gonna have a cow. Big Grin But I bet my boys would be smiling if they knew what I'm thinking! Nate

Posts: 2376 | Location: Idaho Panhandle | Registered: 27 November 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Fjold
posted Hide Post
Nate, get a non-list lower receiver now while they're still legal here in Cali for <$200, it's the perfect platform for the 6.5 Grendel. You can also buy the other parts a little at a time and spread the pain out a bit.

I've built 2 fixed magazine, autoloading rifles for people this month already and I'll be doing two more tonight and tomorrow.

Frank

"I don't know what there is about buffalo that frightens me so.....He looks like he hates you personally. He looks like you owe him money."
- Robert Ruark, Horn of the Hunter, 1953

NRA Life, SAF Life, CRPA Life, DRSS lite

Posts: 12710 | Location: Kentucky, USA | Registered: 30 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Thanks for the kick start. I'll probably call you to find out some more.

Here's a link to a clip. Made me smile.

6.5 Grendel movie clip

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
On case capacity, Bill Alexander said to me at the SHOT show; "the PPC is about 5% less than the Grendel, and the Grendel is about 5% less than the BR case." The main issue as I see it is which rifle platform one chooses to use. The AR based rifles do very well with the 6.5 Grendel, but bolt actions would seem to be better suited to larger capacity cases. IMHO

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
5% = about 1.5 grains

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
A quality i.e. Sako small action carbine bolt or short single shot would interest me......BUT, if one wanted a Do it all rifle from self-defense, plinking, casual target and hunting......an AR platform would do a lot of good on 4 -legged critters out to 300 and much further on 2 legged one's.

I hear 1.5 " Groups at 300 yds or meters.....in an AR. That is acceptable, don't you think?

One of Us
posted Hide Post
should try out the new 6.5x47 Lapua then...

123 grain at 2900++ fps

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Once again, Seafire has it right... When going to a bolt gun, the .260, or 6.5X55 are superior rounds. The Grendel and the 6.5X47 are specialty cartridges for a specific platform or target duty. Yes they will work and damn well, but, there are better choices for the field.

one of us
posted Hide Post

Posts: 7158 | Location: Snake River | Registered: 02 February 2004Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of BigNate
posted Hide Post
Hey lawndart, where'd you find that page? I'd like to be able to read it. Nate

One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
http://www.6mmbr.com/ShotShow2006.html

That should be a direct link to it

One of Us
posted Hide Post
If that case is not the 222 Rem Mag Case, my next guess after looking at the picture above, would have to be the 250 Savage Case.....

I had a couple of 22.250 Savage cases that snuck into a lot of 260 Remington Brass... I was loading 107 grain match Sierras in them... the 107 grain 6.5 mm bullet actually looked interesting in the 22.250 Case....

That or maybe a 6mm International necked to 6.5 mm?

Just measured a 22.250 case and it is 48 mms....

Maybe a 300 Savage necked down, like a 6.5 mm IHMSA?

My 26th Edition Hodgdon Manual shows a drawing of the 300 Savage at 47.5mms... I betcha betcha betcha.. that is what it is....

a 6.5mm on a 300 Savage Case.. same as a 6.5 IHMSA....

Cheers
seafire
cheers

one of us
posted Hide Post
I was thinking the Grendel would be the PERFECT first rifle for my daughter suitable for deer, and low recoil on a CZ527. A nice #2 taper barrel, trim stock, slicked up mini-action....Would there be any better first deer rifle???? Not to mention I'd like to play with one!Smiler

Shoot straight, shoot often.
Matt

Posts: 1183 | Location: Wisconsin | Registered: 19 July 2001Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
I do agree with Seafire, the Grendel and esp. the new 6.5x47 Swiss (NICE ctg. btw) are specialty and the 260 and the 6.5x55 are easier to get factory ammo as well as brass etc.

For an AR, the Grendel would warrant serious consideration, a handy bolt carbine could be fun, but the Swiss-looked at that long ago, seems to be a very 'niche' competition round which will do great for what its design was intended. I would bet accuracy might be easier in it with that Lapua brass than 'turning, prepping' 260 brass, and ballistics are close-

Not sure of what head diameter of the x47 is.

One of Us
posted Hide Post
6.5BR: 6.5x47 Swiss? Do you mean lapua?

There is a 6x47 Swiss Match.

The head diameter is the same as the 308

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
Gee, you are right. I thought the above ctg was the 6.5x47 Swiss Match? Is it different?

I just imagined it was the same but I may be wrong. That would REALLY confuse people.

6.5 x 47 could be a 222 mag case in US, or Swiss, Or Lapua if that is a new one.

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post

One of Us
posted Hide Post
Ill set you straight Smiler

Look at the Nov 15 blog: http://www.6mmbr.com/BlogNov2005.html

Shows the difference, and some specs. I belive the 6.5x47 will beat the 6.5 grendel, but can be fired in a AR-15 magazine.

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by matt salm:
I was thinking the Grendel would be the PERFECT first rifle for my daughter suitable for deer, and low recoil on a CZ527. A nice #2 taper barrel, trim stock, slicked up mini-action....Would there be any better first deer rifle???? Not to mention I'd like to play with one!Smiler

You are absolutely right! When the C Daly (Zastava) mini-mauser actions became available I dedided to build a first rifle for my cousin's granddaughter. I first considered the 6.5 Grendel and after reading about the cartridge being "propriety"...well that meant to me.."more bucks" so I investigated further and without going into my errors in cases that would work...I decided on the .473 boltface and the 6.5BR. For most Texas deer, hog, Aoudad and coyotes, the 100gr bullets available for this little cartridge will do anything required or necessary. So the mini-mauser it is with a 21.5" E R Shaw barrel and reamer were ordered. It now awaits for the new shop to be constructed after my move to Llano county. 6mm BR brass is readily available and will be necked up to 6.5. So far - so good!

Ol' John

Posts: 22 | Location: Llano County, Texas | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 308Sako
posted Hide Post
Matt, speak with "Woody" at Lothar Walther barrels in Georgia. He is shooting your described package and his results are mind blowing.

One of Us
Picture of Big-foot
posted Hide Post
6.5x47 Lapua updated again. Lapua changed it to a small flash hole case. http://www.6mmbr.com/shotshow2006.html

One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
quote:
or necessary. So the mini-mauser it is with a 21.5" E R Shaw barrel and reamer were ordered. It now awaits for the new shop to be constructed after my move to Llano county. 6mm BR brass is readily available and will be necked up to 6.5. So far - so good!

Was not sure the mini-mauser or PPC sized Sako actions, OR CZ's could be opened up to the .473 bolt face.

I built my 7BR on a Rem Mod. 7

posted Hide Post
quote:
Originally posted by 6.5BR:
quote:
or necessary. So the mini-mauser it is with a 21.5" E R Shaw barrel and reamer were ordered. It now awaits for the new shop to be constructed after my move to Llano county. 6mm BR brass is readily available and will be necked up to 6.5. So far - so good!

Was not sure the mini-mauser or PPC sized Sako actions, OR CZ's could be opened up to the .473 bolt face.

I built my 7BR on a Rem Mod. 7

6.5BR,

The Zastava mini-mauser actions are/were available in 3 bolt face diameters....the.223, 7.62x39 and 22-250. Now with their agreement with Remington...who knows if anything will be available.

LFAD is projecting 2900fps (+/-) with the 21.75" barrel with 100gr bullets. The 6.5BR is looking mighty good!

Ol' John

Posts: 22 | Location: Llano County, Texas | Registered: 26 January 2005Reply With Quote
One of Us
Picture of 6.5BR
posted Hide Post
I NEVER knew the 22-250 was made in that action.

News to me. Can't keep up with everything. Originally the 223 and 7.62 x 39 were the only ones to my knowledge but that obviously changed.

My model 7 is 'short enough' though I always wondered about Sako small actions in 6tcu's, 221FB, and 17 mk 4.

I was wondering about Montana actions as they were scheduled to intro a 'mini' action.