New
Find
Notify
Tools

Blue Dot & the 22/250
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
Few guys got us going on this also, so I went out and tried some loads this morning. Just stealed away at lunch time.

Maximum powder weight seems to be 21 grains of blue dot.
Will chronograph the MV later. Bullet weight tested was a 55 grain FMJ.

22 grains was approaching max. I made sure I used cases that had semi loose primers to begin with. That was I margin on the side of saftey. Use that as a reference point.

My goal is also to get a long case life, not a shorter one for the benefit of another 100 fps. If you go above 21 grains, I advise work up in half grain increments. A large rifle Remington 9 1/2 primers were used.

cheers and good shooting

seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Bartsche:

I was out loading a some more rounds this morning to go back out squirrel shooting on Friday and Sat. I remembered your question and filled a case to the brim of Blue Dot and weighed it.

A 22/250 Winchester case holds exactly 32.5 grains of Blue Dot. A flake more and it is overflowing. So over 16 grains and you are good for not having to worry about a double charge.

Cheers and Good shooting
seafire

Posts: 2889 | Location: Southern OREGON | Registered: 27 May 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I shot some reduced loads today in the Swift. With a 50 gr bullet I tried 10, 11, 12, 13 and 14 grs of Blue Dot and all shot well. The 13 gr load hit at the same spot at 100 yds, when aiming from the bottom plex with the 6-18 set at 10X which is where I leave it anyway. The groups were very small and the report was light. The cases expanded well and there was little soot.

No filler or special primers were used.

Loads a little lighter than these should work fine in the Varminter as well.

Posts: 5543 | Registered: 09 December 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Naw, you can't double charge it at that weight ( 21).

I am sure it does not apply to you, but paying attention to what one is doing on his reload bench goes a long way toward safety.

Blue Dot is very bulky powder. 21 grains of it, occupies more space than say 35 grains of H 4895 or IMR 4895.

One of Us
Picture of bartsche
posted Hide Post
Is it possible to get 42gr. of blue dot in a case or does it spill over? It for my own satisfaction. I get a little leary when double charges are possible. roger

Posts: 10226 | Location: Temple City CA | Registered: 29 April 2003Reply With Quote