THE ACCURATERELOADING.COM SMALL CALIBER FORUM

Accuratereloading.com    The Accurate Reloading Forums    THE ACCURATE RELOADING.COM FORUMS  Hop To Forum Categories  Rifles  Hop To Forums  Small Calibers    Ruger mk 77 target vs Savage 112bvss

Moderators: Paul H
Go
New
Find
Notify
Tools

Ruger mk 77 target vs Savage 112bvss
 Login/Join

one of us
posted
I am considering the purchase of one of these 2 rifles in 25-06, any thoughts would be appreciated.

Posts: 72 | Location: pgh., pa | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well, if I were fixated on the most accurate of the two, I would go with the Savage (get the Accu-trigger, for sure). The Ruger is a way better looking rifle though. Yes I have both brands, and the Savages have always had better accuracy then the Rugers, at least that's been my experience. FWIW - Dan

Posts: 5285 | Location: Alberta | Registered: 05 October 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Well Vigil may experience has been the Ruger have been more accurate than my Savages that I have owned! I won�t own another Savage. But everybody has there own likes and dislikes.

Posts: 182 | Location: Bandon Oregon | Registered: 03 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Ten years ago, I would have recommended the Ruger for sure, simply because Savage was only producing the cheapest guns it could without regard to performance.

Recent changes in ownership and management have turned Savage around and their current rifles are enjoying a reputaton for outstanding accuracy and good workmanship while still being built on an efficient (even if not aesthetically appealling) design.

One thing you can count on: The Ruger trigger will be ponderous, while the Savage Accutrigger is state-of-the-art. The Ruger is better looking, to most eyes, but this is not what you buy a target/varmint/long range rifle for.

Posts: 13245 | Location: Henly, TX, USA | Registered: 04 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I don't own either of these models, but have both brands. My Savage(10FP .223) is more accurate than the Rugers(MKII sporter, blue walnut 22-250 and 257 Roberts), but not by enough to tell from anything but the most sturdy bench I can find. Might even be because of the difference in glass(6.5-24 on the 223, and 4x12 on the 22-250). Both 22's will break 1/2" shen I do my part. The 257 is new and I just got it glassed into the stock, the weather's been against working up loads since. Didn't take much time to put a timney trigger in the 22-250, or stone the stock trigger on the 257. The accu-trigger is still better though.

Posts: 339 | Location: SE Kansas | Registered: 05 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
I have never seen a Ruger that could shoot with a Savage. I am sure they are out there, but Savage rifles are very accurate out of the box (especially for the price). Rugers are known to be more on the average (or below average) in terms of accuracy.

I have a Savage 110 FLP (Tactical) in .25-06 that will shoot 1.25" to 1.5" 5 shot groups at 300 yards with 85g Ballistic Tips and 100g Matchkings. It's an older model and I had to bed the stock and put in a Rifle Basix Trigger. The new model with the AccuTrigger would be wonderful.

Posts: 498 | Location: Georgia | Registered: 13 January 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
The new model without the AccuTrigger would be even better. The AccuTrigger is the only thing I dislike about my 12BVSS.

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
You are the first one I have seen that didn't like the accru trigger,can you tell why you don't like it?I have one on a 10 fp and love it been waiting to get another ML 11 with one.Not faulting your likes (we all have different likes)just curious because you were the first one I saw to say that and most say its the best thing since sliced bread/

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Sign me up as the second one who doesn't like the Accu-Trigger.

Posts: 43 | Location: New England | Registered: 27 March 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of POP
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Well, if I were fixated on the most accurate of the two, I would go with the Savage (get the Accu-trigger, for sure). FWIW - Dan

YUP!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posts: 3865 | Location: Cheyenne, WYOMING, USA | Registered: 13 June 2000Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of fredj338
posted Hide Post
Btwn. those two, I would go Ruger. I have had several of their bolt guns, new M77 & MkII. I have never had a bad one (knock on stock wood). Curious, why not a Sendero?

Posts: 7752 | Location: kalif.,usa | Registered: 08 March 2001Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
There are others who don't like the AccuTrigger, though we seem to be in the minority.

I dislike the protruding safety lever, which has to be fully depressed before the main trigger can be released. It has a very long pull. On my benchrest/varmint rifle, out of the box the pull of the safety lever is a lot higher than the pull of the trigger itself and is long and creepy. When you touch the trigger it fires. In fact, it often misfires from the main trigger releasing while the safety lever's being taken up. I probably need to turn up the pull on the main trigger (if I can find where my wife put the envelope with the manual and the trigger adjusting tool!) and swap the safety lever's spring for a lighter one. I hate to have to modify something brand new to make it work right.

Secondly, there's that name, AccuTrigger. What's "accurate" about this trigger any more than any other, save that it can be adjusted to a lighter pull level (for the main trigger) than is commonly regarded as safe for the general public's use? The safety lever got Savage's lawyers to approve that. It's a LawyerTrigger that someone in the Marketing Department thought of a catchy name for. That lever's about as attractive and useful as a beard on Claudia Schiffer.

But don't misunderstand me, I like the rifle otherwise!

Posts: 1325 | Location: Bristol, Tennessee, USA | Registered: 24 December 2003Reply With Quote
one of us
posted Hide Post
Thanks,was just cuious.I like the one on my 10FP and have the regular trigger on my 10ML,have it adjusted down to suit me and like it too,really don't know which I like the best.

Posts: 508 | Location: Newton,NC,USA | Registered: 02 April 2001Reply With Quote
posted Hide Post
I have all three -- Savage with AccuTrigger, Savage w/o A-T (changed to Sharp Shooter Supply trigger) and Ruger 77 VT. All three shoot excellent groups, have adjustable triggers, laminate stocks (my favorite) and fit me perfectly. Although, if I was to buy only one, it would be the Savage. Accuracy has not been the issue, but saving about $100 that I could use towards upgrading to an even better scope would sway me. Otherwise, handle both, shoot both if someone at your local range has either, and decide. Better yet, buy both! ... Mike

one of us
posted Hide Post
Thank you all very much for you thoughts on the subject. Fred I can't find a Sendero in 25-06 apparently Remington has stopped making them.

Posts: 72 | Location: pgh., pa | Registered: 29 April 2002Reply With Quote
one of us
Picture of Ricochet
posted Hide Post
Quote:

Accuracy has not been the issue, but saving about $100 that I could use towards upgrading to an even better scope would sway me.

Hear, hear! I expect something to work well, and I appreciate things that do. But I LOVE things that work well and are CHEAP!

one of us
posted Hide Post
I have a savage 12bvss-s in 223 and it is a very nice rifle. If I were buying a new one I would by the new savage model 12 low profile which looks just like the ruger with the beavertail stock. It has the same action as the 12bvss...

Posts: 70 | Location: Lyndon Vt. USA | Registered: 23 January 2002Reply With Quote